Road trip in high milage Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Going on a family trip, my yukon has 204000 miles on it. Should I trust it to go on a 4 hour road trip? It runs good, just got new tires and alignment done. What should I check out maintenance wise? Never done anything other than oil changes and brakes. Been a real good truck so far.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only 4hrs? When I think of a road trip it's a minimum of 10 hrs. anything else is just a sunday drive.

You have done the maintenance, drive it. it will break where and when it wants too.
If you feel that unsure of taking a 4hr trip in your Yukon, maybe you should be shopping for another ride.

My feeling is you should be able to get in your truck and drive it for however long is needed without worrying. If you have any doubts, drive something else. Just common sense.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree, 4 hours is just a puddle jump! I'd at least change your oil if it's been a while that you've done it, top off all your fluids, and check your tire pressure and enjoy your trip!

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on your location, tire pressure will hopefully be your only problem. I'm rocking 206k and make 2 hour trips all the time, and 4-5 hour trips every so often.

As long you we keep these trucks maintained, they are going to last. I feel like more vehicles are lost to accidents then old age.

White knight

Reaction score
Agree. Get a roadside assistance rider on your insurance or get AAA, throw some bottles of water and granola bars in the car, along with a blanket just in case, and drive.

I also keep an "emergency kit" with a triangle reflector, tire inflator, jumper cables, some oil and a few tools in mine just in case.

Mine aren't currently high mileage but I had high mileage cars and SUVs in the past, and routinely took road trips in them 12+ hrs away.

Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going on a family trip, my yukon has 204000 miles on it. Should I trust it to go on a 4 hour road trip? It runs good, just got new tires and alignment done. What should I check out maintenance wise? Never done anything other than oil changes and brakes. Been a real good truck so far.

You have never changed the

starter, alternator, fuel pump, water pump?

Belts?

OP
OP
B

Brent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did change the alternator and put 2 batteries in it, forgot about them. I bought my Yukon with 79,000 miles and just mainly wanting to know the parts that are close to failure around this milage. Prior to owning this truck the most miles I've ever put on is my 89 Mustang, I've got 176,000 on it. I know the belts and hoses should probably be replaced. What about the water pump, fuel pump, the coils?

Denalixl13

Reaction score
My 06' Denali XL's water pump started leaking at about 163k. I probably could've left it be, but I had it replaced. Belts are every 100k-ish. I'd look underneath and just make sure nothing is leaking before you go. Generally GM V-8's are iron clad. They just don't die as long as you take care of them. Unless its a Northstar haha!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about multipoint inspections too.

Hey Brent, Besides what all mention in their replies, I have for years used the local dealership to keep a second set of eyes (besides me) on my vehicles.

For $40.00 you get a 27 point inspection, tire rotation and oil change. They look it over pretty well and like I said, just having a second set of eyes on things helps.

serviceAd.jpg

I have even seen free inspection coupons for road trips, where you take your truck in and for free they will do a multi-point inspection.

:cheers:

jesse53

Reaction score
Doing this myself..Indiana to Florida and back. Curious how much fuel it will take than any worries about breaking down.