Rise of the Turd-burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nooj

Reaction score
Funny story- I was trimming off the bracket from the old brake hose, so I could use the tab to hold the wheel speed sensor cable. I did this on the passenger side, and it worked like a charm.

D63612D2-F438-498F-A5F0-4634D349FE55.jpeg

I cut the part off that wraps around the hose, cut the “extra” tab off, and cleaned it up. I ran the hold down bolt through the p clamp that came with the Goodridge hoses, and through the modified bracket, which I conveniently popped the wheel speed sensor doodad into.
Well, my dumbäss trimmed off the wrong tab on the drivers side! Ha!
Now I’ve got to cut off the other tab, and weld it onto the correct side so that the little bracket is useful.
Just because you cut the left tab off on the passenger side doesn’t mean you need to cut the left tab off on the drivers side!

I don’t have a pic of that…

Don’t be a ****** like me. Look before you trim.

Nooj

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We need more pics!

Pics, or it didnt happen!

Edit: Just because the power mirrors arent working, doesnt mean it doesnt have them. Grime, dirt, and other nasties get into the motors, and gears, and can make them so they dont move, or move in a very stuttery type of way. The ones on my Envoy and Saab both have this stuttery type of operation. But with memory mirrors, its hard to find good, working, versions, that are also painted.. My caps dont separate like the FST's do

Can confirm, my switches and wiring are fucky -01 Yukon xl

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the market last year for a 2500 Suburban and all by me were well over $10,000 & then they looked pretty ragged inside & out. I found a 2000 Suburban 2500 for $6,500 with a pair of alum heads added to the deal. Previous owner had $7,000 worth of receipts less than 2 years old. It drove good & looked great in the rain so I bought it. With under 170K miles & market at the time I felt it was worth the risk & I wanted a project to play with.

None of the power locks, heated seats, radio, washer fluid front or rear worked & drivers seat was a bit rough. Carpet was beyond cleaning. Most items were simple fixes but alot of them. I did replace the carpet, installed sound deadening, new seat foam & new leather for all 3 rows. Been a great ride since.

Wish you well on your project.

View attachment 378378
View attachment 378379

View attachment 378380

I’m at that point with my rig WEIGHT SAVINGS BOEEEEE!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what she said! “She” being my girlfriend, when I showed her the difference.

“She” also said that if she were managing this project, she’d just grind the calipers so my current wheels will fit. I may have to follow the boss lady’s advice.
This is what I meant to quote
when I replied with well played sir….
Forgot to hit the quote button before I posted it haha
Got a good laugh outta that response!

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re not evil… YET. It’s in you, like the force in young Anakin Skywalker- an idea, a plan- to design something with a bolt or nut that’s impossible to get to; or creating an avalanche disassembly process (you know, gotta take this off to get that off, but gotta take THIS off before you can take THAT off).

I got my eye on you, mister.

I firmly believe any engineer that designs mechanical or electrical systems should have to work in maintenance in similar systems before making designs. I feel like ease of maintenance would greatly improve.

By the way, “she” (my girlfriend) is an engineer too. She knows my opinion on engineers, ha!
My grandpa was a mechanic. I grew up working in his shop.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My grandpa was a mechanic. I grew up working in his shop.
My dad showed me the basics of changing oil and how to replace plugs and wires and points/condenser and flushing coolant with a flush tee and and and and......

When I got out of the service, I was drinking beer with my cousin and friends in Paradise, Ca. and my uncle, who was an aircraft mechanic in the Korean War, had his own shop and he pulled me in that shop to keep me from drinking all the time and showed me diagnostics and line mechanic stuff. I moved back to KC, Mo. and went to work in shops and the rest is history. Made a great living during those 35+ years.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Funny story- I was trimming off the bracket from the old brake hose, so I could use the tab to hold the wheel speed sensor cable. I did this on the passenger side, and it worked like a charm.

View attachment 378659

I cut the part off that wraps around the hose, cut the “extra” tab off, and cleaned it up. I ran the hold down bolt through the p clamp that came with the Goodridge hoses, and through the modified bracket, which I conveniently popped the wheel speed sensor doodad into.
Well, my dumbäss trimmed off the wrong tab on the drivers side! Ha!
Now I’ve got to cut off the other tab, and weld it onto the correct side so that the little bracket is useful.
Just because you cut the left tab off on the passenger side doesn’t mean you need to cut the left tab off on the drivers side!

I don’t have a pic of that…

Don’t be a ****** like me. Look before you trim.

Nooj
You just might be a Kevin.

OP
OP
N

Nooj

Reaction score
My dad showed me the basics of changing oil and how to replace plugs and wires and points/condenser and flushing coolant with a flush tee and and and and......

When I got out of the service, I was drinking beer with my cousin and friends in Paradise, Ca. and my uncle, who was an aircraft mechanic in the Korean War, had his own shop and he pulled me in that shop to keep me from drinking all the time and showed me diagnostics and line mechanic stuff. I moved back to KC, Mo. and went to work in shops and the rest is history. Made a great living during those 35+ years.

Was your uncle’s shop an auto shop or an aircraft shop?

My pop was a helicopter mech in the Marines, and has always been a car guy. I grew up around body shops and garages.
I joined the Marines, and I’ll be darned if I didn’t work on the same helicopters my old man did, 30 years later! Both chewed the same dirt at Pendleton, too. Those birds have since been retired.
Should’ve taken his advice and went Air Force! As I got (a continue to get) older I come to realize how he was much wiser than I thunk he was, and was right more often than I thought he was.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Was your uncle’s shop an auto shop or an aircraft shop?

My pop was a helicopter mech in the Marines, and has always been a car guy. I grew up around body shops and garages.
I joined the Marines, and I’ll be darned if I didn’t work on the same helicopters my old man did, 30 years later! Both chewed the same dirt at Pendleton, too. Those birds have since been retired.
Should’ve taken his advice and went Air Force! As I got (a continue to get) older I come to realize how he was much wiser than I thunk he was, and was right more often than I thought he was.
Auto repair shop in Paradise, Ca.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali