Right rear park brake cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My right rear p brake cable let go so I looked up part on rock auto and appears to be 4 selections of lengths available. It says first design is 53”, 2nd design is 60” and then they list 2 others at 100” and 109”. I guess I just pull the old one and measure it? Has anyone experienced any blunders replacing this part?

Thx

Ed

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My right rear p brake cable let go so I looked up part on rock auto and appears to be 4 selections of lengths available. It says first design is 53”, 2nd design is 60” and then they list 2 others at 100” and 109”. I guess I just pull the old one and measure it? Has anyone experienced any blunders replacing this part?

Thx

Ed
Ed, they have them in GM OE and ACDelco Professional grades and the other difference is for trucks with the push to release option (JNC) versus those without run different lengths.

Here's the list I made for mine which might be the same for yours.

1632035430656.png

OP
OP
Reaction score
Ed, they have them in GM OE and ACDelco Professional grades and the other difference is for trucks with the push to release option (JNC) versus those without run different lengths.

Here's the list I made for mine which might be the same for yours.

View attachment 350730
Ok, thx a lot for the quick response swath, greatly appreciated! Mine is indeed not a JNC so I presume that your 09 XL is the same as my 08 which would be the 25952160 or the 18P96885 - 109”. Rock also lists 2 others at 100” and according to their data, both the 109” and the 100” fit both the std length and the XL‍♂️ I will double check the part # with my dealer as he will search by vin before I order.
So, gold or genuine? Gold is $100 vs $45 genuine!! After reading the descriptions, it seems that genuine is what they used at production and gold is a better version, if I can believe the description. The main diff I see in Rock’s description is that the genuine is nylon jacket and gold is a rubber jacket however, my OE jacket is fine, was in fact the cable that broke at the caliper end. So, if they just put the same cable in a better jacket then for me (and you) not in the rust belt then the OE should hack the program, for another 13 years as the production one did. Incidentally, Rock also list the Raybestos which I generally find to be pretty good for their higher end stuff but they only list one version so I wonder if their cable is any better.
Do you have experience with other Gold vs genuine parts where you have been able to verify a difference?
Thx again!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thx a lot for the quick response swath, greatly appreciated! Mine is indeed not a JNC so I presume that your 09 XL is the same as my 08 which would be the 25952160 or the 18P96885 - 109”. Rock also lists 2 others at 100” and according to their data, both the 109” and the 100” fit both the std length and the XL‍♂️ I will double check the part # with my dealer as he will search by vin before I order.
So, gold or genuine? Gold is $100 vs $45 genuine!! After reading the descriptions, it seems that genuine is what they used at production and gold is a better version, if I can believe the description. The main diff I see in Rock’s description is that the genuine is nylon jacket and gold is a rubber jacket however, my OE jacket is fine, was in fact the cable that broke at the caliper end. So, if they just put the same cable in a better jacket then for me (and you) not in the rust belt then the OE should hack the program, for another 13 years as the production one did. Incidentally, Rock also list the Raybestos which I generally find to be pretty good for their higher end stuff but they only list one version so I wonder if their cable is any better.
Do you have experience with other Gold vs genuine parts where you have been able to verify a difference?
Thx again!
It has been my experience that GM OE is always of a higher quality then ACDelco Professional/Gold and especially Advantage/Silver. When I do mine, it will be GM OE unless I learn from you or someone else that the other is a higher quality product.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It has been my experience that GM OE is always of a higher quality then ACDelco Professional/Gold and especially Advantage/Silver. When I do mine, it will be GM OE unless I learn from you or someone else that the other is a higher quality product. OR OE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

FYP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt