Ride quality, what does a bad front diff feel like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on whats specifically causing the failure but yes its definitely possible to get that from a failing diff. could still be something else though. however if you have started a discussion about your ride quality already i would have posted this question in that thread. dont want to seem mean but bouncing between 2 threads to see what might have already been suggested to check then back to here to make a suggestion is pretty bothersome. but thats a yes to your question in this thread. if its that bad i would stop driving it completely tho. driving along and having the diff suddenly lock up at speeds could end up with you and or someone else in the hospital. also if the vibrations are coming from the internals vibrating from something being lose having the diff detonate is also a possibility.
my ride commentary was just various blerbs in other threads (that werent mine)....this was actually to bring it to one place to discuss.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
factory spec at 50

Factory spec on my 2008 is 50 front, 71 rear, and that's how I run them. Definitely rides as well, or even better, than my half-ton. My buddy has a 2015 Silverado 2500HD pickup - very stiff ride compared to mine.

Stock suspension, all-original, Bilstein 4600s installed in 2013.

I'll be in Jonesboro in early October. Feel free to come by to shoot and take her for a ride.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have that much metal in the front diff fluid every change....I would think you would feel that .... personally I think that’s your rumble strip feeling... but... what do I know

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have that much metal in the front diff fluid every change....I would think you would feel that .... personally I think that’s your rumble strip feeling... but... what do I know

I wouldn't do anything until the diff is replaced. See if that was the cause.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say possibly front drive shaft, but you aren’t AWD. Worn body mounts perhaps. Like others said, I’d address the front diff problem first.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A driveline shop can attach a microphone and vibration sensor to the differential, and tell you whether not it’s causing a problem. It’s worth the money for the diagnostic.

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet is a failing CV joint. They can manifest as a vibration of the steering wheel similar to a severely out of balance tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
My ‘12 Tahoe had much the same symptoms. Had very abnormal inside tire wear. Mechanic replaced upper and lower ball joints and motor mounts. Now riding smooth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne