Ride quality, what does a bad front diff feel like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again all my front suspension is brand new. UBJs, LBJs, control arms, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, hub bearing assemblies, and my tires are milestar patagonias 245/75/16 which is factory spec.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
just my 02, but 50/70 psi will transmit every road imperfection like a seismograph recording a 7.1 quake. those pressures are for supporting the gvw of your vehicle. Just for kicks run 35 on all four corners and report back. also if your front diff is a metal slurry than wtf do you think is going on in there? No disrespect whatsoever is intended! It is kinda comical to wonder if the front diff coming apart could affect vibration? especially when you drive on roads with high tire pressures, those tires transmit the shock to the loose unsupported internals of the diff and they sing like a tuning fork. when it does come apart it should be a memorable experience, Im in!

OP
OP
Derick

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just my 02, but 50/70 psi will transmit every road imperfection like a seismograph recording a 7.1 quake. those pressures are for supporting the gvw of your vehicle. Just for kicks run 35 on all four corners and report back. also if your front diff is a metal slurry than wtf do you think is going on in there? No disrespect whatsoever is intended! It is kinda comical to wonder if the front diff coming apart could affect vibration? especially when you drive on roads with high tire pressures, those tires transmit the shock to the loose unsupported internals of the diff and they sing like a tuning fork. when it does come apart it should be a memorable experience, Im in!

Well, those pressures are SPEC for the vehicle. I am not running max, I am running what the manufacturer tells me to run. So, sure 35 might be more pleasant, but that is not what it was built for. I will get abnormal wear, and I will get TPMS errors because thats not what it wants to run.

As for the metal slurry in the front diff, i dont know what's happening there. I never have had any issues, noise or failures from it. I changed the fluid for the first time last April, and it was bad looking. Mixed responses here on the picture I posted. This time around, seeing it happen again within just a year, tells me there is slow failure.

The 700 bucks for a new diff at RA ain't bad. Gotta find a mechanic to install it, but should be done by end of fall I would presume. Every other thing has been replaced under there....so I last thought it might have been bad bearings. 160k with stock bearings, yeah its time. But while those made a noticable improvement, they did not fix the entire problem.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just my 02, but 50/70 psi will transmit every road imperfection like a seismograph recording a 7.1 quake.

I run those pressures on my Burb, driving on the washboards masquerading as roads here in Michigan. The ride is half-ton smooth - soft, yet firm. Absolutely no difference in ride between my 2001 half-ton and my 2008 2500. Not punishing at all, actually quite the opposite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada