reprograming onboard computer with new shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer gets error code C0590-04 on my 2009 Tahoe with Z55 air shock system which they say indicates needing a right rear shock. The labor estimate is $265.00 to install the shock and “reprogram the computer”. I asked the service writer if reprogramming the computer meant to just clear out the “service suspension system” out of the system and he said no that the computer has to be reprogrammed to account for the new shock in the system. I have not seen any mention anywhere on the internet of having to reprogram the computer when a new shock is installed. Does anyone know anything about this?
I think the bottom line here is you can do it without reprogramming and you can do it yourself, the job is not hard, if you do it just make sure you don't accidently disconnect the abs harness which sits right above the frame where the top bolts goes in for the rear shock if it comes undone just plug it back in

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving old thread..
I just replaced my front Magneride struts with Dorman OE Fix Magneride ones. Clearly marketed as having rheomagnetic fluid in them (Arnots have regular oil, btw). truck rides great but after about 30 miles it threw Service Suspension message. No CEL. Does this mean, I need recalibration? Don't have Tech2 scanner. As I said, everything seems to be working as it should. What brings me to a diffrent question - with that message, does it mean that Magneride is, actually, disabled? It sends impulse down into the rheomagnetic fluid, changing its viscosity per sensors. Would be VERY expensive regular hydraulic struts otherwise, if its disabled.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like you need an advanced scanner to get the body code; an OBD reader won't do that. If you have the Suspension message, it won't typically trigger a CEL. If there's a message, there's a code.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wORKING ON IT.

tHANK YOU ALL FOR RESPONSES.
Ha ha, apologies for caps..
double check that the connectors on the top of the shocks are on properly, if it just pulls off then it's not secured properly the little clip has to be on right.

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked 3 times

Anyhow. Got the code. At least, it was the only code under the body module:

U0214 OBD-II:
Lost Communication With Remote Function Actuation

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and Service Suspension message appears and disappears. It may not be present at start up, or may be.

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that vehicle starts and drives just fine. Struts feel very good. Kinda like driving my old MGM. Mercury Grand Marquis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts