reprograming onboard computer with new shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geodavky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dealer gets error code C0590-04 on my 2009 Tahoe with Z55 air shock system which they say indicates needing a right rear shock. The labor estimate is $265.00 to install the shock and “reprogram the computer”. I asked the service writer if reprogramming the computer meant to just clear out the “service suspension system” out of the system and he said no that the computer has to be reprogrammed to account for the new shock in the system. I have not seen any mention anywhere on the internet of having to reprogram the computer when a new shock is installed. Does anyone know anything about this?

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced all of my Z55 suspension on my 09 Tahoe LTZ 6.2 and you do not have any reprogramming of any sort. I even had 'service suspension' come on and after replaced my bad compressor, the warnings went away immediately. But the price your dealer is quoting you is really good. However, I would not recommend replacement of just one rear shock.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The shop manual says:

"Important: Whenever repairing and/or replacing ALC system components, perform the Suspension Position Calibration procedure."

James,

Is a Tech2 required for this procedure or is it not that complicated?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've replaced my rear shocks and vompressor in my 02 and the warnings went away. The calibration requires a tech 2 which I didn't have at the time. I don't believe it's necessary.

kbuskill

Reaction score
I've replaced my rear shocks and vompressor in my 02 and the warnings went away. The calibration requires a tech 2 which I didn't have at the time. I don't believe it's necessary.

I too have replaced my rear shocks with the Arnotts and have replaced the compressor as well in my '08... never did any recalibration of any kind and no lights on dash.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm, I guess I probably need to do this then also but haven't had any problems

Trimset Recalibration If the system is functioning abnormally, performing the Bumpstop and ALC Trimset recalibration procedures may correct the condition. When a system component has been replaced, the Bumpstop setup and ALC Trimset procedures must be performed.

1. Ensure that the vehicle has a full tank of fuel or add sufficient weight to the rear of the vehicle to simulate a full tank of fuel.
2. Place the vehicle on a flat level surface. Ensure that the suspension is in the normal resting position. With a scan tool, perform the ALC Trimset procedure by following the screen prompts.
3. With a scan tool, perform the suspension Bumpstop setup procedure by following the screen prompts. Once the process has been completed, the system should be fully functional.

kbuskill

Reaction score
hmm, I guess I probably need to do this then also but haven't had any problems

Trimset Recalibration If the system is functioning abnormally, performing the Bumpstop and ALC Trimset recalibration procedures may correct the condition. When a system component has been replaced, the Bumpstop setup and ALC Trimset procedures must be performed.

1. Ensure that the vehicle has a full tank of fuel or add sufficient weight to the rear of the vehicle to simulate a full tank of fuel.
2. Place the vehicle on a flat level surface. Ensure that the suspension is in the normal resting position. With a scan tool, perform the ALC Trimset procedure by following the screen prompts.
3. With a scan tool, perform the suspension Bumpstop setup procedure by following the screen prompts. Once the process has been completed, the system should be fully functional.

I could see going to that much trouble if the ESCM were replaced but beyond that I doubt it's necessary.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears to me that the purpose of recalibration is to establish the proper ride height with the ESCM with the vehicle full of full but otherwise empty. I think we'll be seeing more Tech2 users in the near future! ;)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see going to that much trouble if the ESCM were replaced but beyond that I doubt it's necessary.

I replaced my ESCM at one point with one from Ebay when I was troubleshooting and never had to calibrate.

It appears to me that the purpose of recalibration is to establish the proper ride height with the ESCM with the vehicle full of full but otherwise empty. I think we'll be seeing more Tech2 users in the near future! ;)

I thought the ride height sensors were supposed to do that. I have pulled an air line before when working on ride height, when I was adjusting the length of the sensor rods in order to get my final height perfect so I was level and my 26's didn't rub, so it would air up to it's final height, and it always just aired until the sensors said it's high enough. It seems like a simple enough system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs