Replacing Shocks today and need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
2012 Denali XL
128,000 miles
Purchased at around 88,000

Replaced the air compressor a few months back
works fine does its pre-test
I have felt that the shocks need replacement as the rear seems a little softer then it had
ordered Arnott replacements

I have the shock off right now but it looks really good to have been the original see below

20181110_145328.jpg

The airbag looks great so now I am wondering if these really need to be replaced? How does one know if the electronic shocks are done? I mean if these are originals at almost 130,000 miles it has to be time to replace regardless of the airbags? Maybe PO replaced them?

Any advice would be great as I have the passenger side out and trying to see what I should do....

TIA

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
I went ahead and replaced them as it is a pretty easy job. I would say that it seems to be tighter in the rear now on a quick drive but the test will be this week as I have a couple of long drives. I went with passive replacement vs the electronics so it will be a good comparison. Saw a sale on Rock Auto and ended up getting them for $200 for both shipped and then Arnott is offering 50$ for core returns so $150 total I could not pass up....

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you leak tested them? (spray with a mix of soap/water watch for bubbles) mine on my 2012 had a slow leak and my air pump wasn't releasing air and it would only run "sometimes" the air pump should self test and release air-then pump air everytime you cycle the key.
whatever you decide to do when you go to put some back in be sure you don't unclip the abs sensor harness that sits right on top of the frame where the top bolt goes on for the shocks, some people end up unclipping the harness in the process and drive away and get a service traction system error

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
have you leak tested them? (spray with a mix of soap/water watch for bubbles) mine on my 2012 had a slow leak and my air pump wasn't releasing air and it would only run "sometimes" the air pump should self test and release air-then pump air everytime you cycle the key.
whatever you decide to do when you go to put some back in be sure you don't unclip the abs sensor harness that sits right on top of the frame where the top bolt goes on for the shocks, some people end up unclipping the harness in the process and drive away and get a service traction system error

I had them off and used my portable compressor to fill them and then plugged the air hole to keep them inflated. I noticed that there were some bubbles in places so I am guessing it is a matter of time be fore they went ....

But your note on the compressor self-test is where I have in issue now. I just posted a new thread as it was very specific to the self-test process

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/air-compressor-self-test-question.107988/

@Doubeleive could you take a look and see if you have any thoughts?

TIA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons