Replacing running board motor on '12 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched some threads and found that others removed the motor with the boards still on the vehicle. I'm looking for some tips on doing this as I don't see how it's possible Could have been the previous generation in which you could do this, not sure.

I assume both sides are similar but I'm working on the LH side.

I'm fine with removing them if necessary but hoping to avoid that.

Any help appreciated.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I didn't see the two bolt heads on the top of the motor, facing opposite of the lower bolt, so they aren't obstructed. That was my concern, seems straightforward, all should be good.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will not be pleasant...lol. I did remove the bolt that goes through the shaft and the wedge piece, applied a good amount of heat to the bracket, and it won't budge.

Will likely need to address this after my vacation....:mad:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will not be pleasant...lol. I did remove the bolt that goes through the shaft and the wedge piece, applied a good amount of heat to the bracket, and it won't budge.

Will likely need to address this after my vacation....:mad:
Sorry it's turning into a hassle of a job. Wish I could be more helpful - both of mine have fixed running boards.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score

This is a good place to park info for waking up running boards set in dormant mode from the factory.

“Some power running boards are stuck (in cold weather) due to lack of lubrication. Shoot WD-40 to free up stuck joints.

However, if you have your running boards stuck in the up or down position after a dead battery or other issues, here is how to reset them WITHOUT the need for a dealer service or scan tool:

Power running boards are locked from the factory to the dealership, this is how to unlock them as part of dealer prep.

To activate and unlock the articulating running boards for normal operation, perform the following procedures:

Open all front and rear doors.
Set the parking brake.
Find the running board disable switch located on the center console below the HVAC climate control system.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, with the engine off, and toggle the disable switch three times within 20 seconds to activate the power running boards.
Close all doors.
Open the left front or left rear door and the running board on the left side should articulate out.
Close the left front or left rear door and the running board should articulate in.
Open right front or right rear door and the running board on the right should articulate out.
Close the right front or right rear door and the running board should articulate in.

The articulating running boards will now operate when opening either the front or rear doors on that side of the vehicle. A power retract operation of the running boards will occur with the closing of both doors on that side of the vehicle.”