Replacing front bearings, anything else to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a sample of water build up in a master cylinder. I just changed this and the booster on an 85 F150 2wd. His complaint was "my brakes feel funny and the paint on the front of booster is bubbling up below where the master cylinder bolts on".

Duh, ya think!
That is really dangerous. I had once a Chrysler Voyager with an transmission problem, what i fixed and I saw this car had an overall service problem. The break fluid was dark brown and normalwise when it's new, it's crystal clear.
But I wanted to test first the fixed transmission, before I do all the service, so I drove the car and after approximate 4 miles, standing on a traffic light, it smells like a burned clutch, which is surprising, at a car within automatic transmission. :Big Laugh:

I found out that the rear right brake was hot like hell, because it was being squeezed shut by the water in the brake fluid that had evaporated from the heat from braking. So I waited half an hour, until it cooled down enough and drove to my garage preventing any braking.

If that happens to an inexperienced driver in the rain, who then loses control of the vehicle in the corner, it's dangerous. After changing the brake fluid, the car had no longer a brake issue.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is really dangerous. I had once a Chrysler Voyager with an transmission problem, what i fixed and I saw this car had an overall service problem. The break fluid was dark brown and normalwise when it's new, it's crystal clear.
But I wanted to test first the fixed transmission, before I do all the service, so I drove the car and after approximate 4 miles, standing on a traffic light, it smells like a burned clutch, which is surprising, at a car within automatic transmission. :Big Laugh:

I found out that the rear right brake was hot like hell, because it was being squeezed shut by the water in the brake fluid that had evaporated from the heat from braking. So I waited half an hour, until it cooled down enough and drove to my garage preventing any braking.

If that happens to an inexperienced driver in the rain, who then loses control of the vehicle in the corner, it's dangerous. After changing the brake fluid, the car had no longer a brake issue.
No brake problem except at the right rear.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive I thought about that. Do you just pop off the cap that covers the axle nut? Frankly, I need a bigger breaker bar.

For now, I gave up on driver side and reassembled everthing. The driver sides actually seems pretty tight. I will keep an eye on it. I also needed the truck and thought I could use more time to figure out what disk/pad/caliper set up to get. I may try nonickatall technique and see if that helps. I put few miles on the truck and last flushed the brakes three years ago. I had checked it last year with a brake fluid testing strip and it was Fine.

I will definitely need to replace pads and probably rotors at some point in near future.
yes if there is a dust cap just take it off, no reason to make it harder than it should be, I keep a piece of galvanized pipe in my tool bag as a helper for other things. but that fence driver I use is the big boy I think I have had that thing for about 30 years it's never failed to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n