Do these camshaft bearings need to be replaced?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z28chris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had to replace a bad lifter and decided to swap the camshaft as well. Now I have pulled out the camshaft and was wondering, if the bearings are still usable.
There is definitely some copper showing. But I don't know, how much is too much.
Also I'm not sure, if they are properly aligned. When I feel with a pick on the driver's side hole of the bearing, there is definitely a passage behind it. On the passenger side, it seems solid. Are there supposed to be passages behind both holes?
The car is a 2001 Tahoe LT with the 5.3 L Vortec LM7 engine ("T" VIN code) and has run about 150000 miles.

Attachments

• PXL_20230827_142558927.jpg
    PXL_20230827_142558927.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230827_142606750.jpg
    PXL_20230827_142606750.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Z28chris

Z28chris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That makes sense. Would that be something I could do in my driveway? Or do I need to get the motor out of the truck and bring it to a shop?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... pulled out the camshaft and was wondering, if the bearings are still usable?
Already pulled out the old cam, pull out the old cam's bearings too.
... definitely some copper showing. But I don't know, how much is too much?
If you're already replacing the camshaft, change those bearings too.
Those bearings are worn to the previous camshaft.
Couldn't've said it better - but I will say
New cam, new cam bearings.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. Would that be something I could do in my driveway? Or do I need to get the motor out of the truck and bring it to a shop?
Fairly sure the motor has to come out to utilize the tool for installing the cam bearings properly. Maybe, if you took the front clip off, it could be done in vehice?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I love spending money. If I do lifters, I do a cam. If I do a cam, I do bearings. To do in vehicle you gotta make room and have the right tools and know how. If you are unsure of how to gain access, learn how quick. If you are unsure removing the bearings, learn how to quick. If you are usure on bearing replacement, learn how to do that quick. There is a special install tool and a special removal tool. Whatever you take off front of engine for access, replace it, again IMO.

If you pull the engine, you got more parts to buy and install at same time. Look at it this way. It is nothing but fun to do. Ahhhhh, good times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts