front wheel bearings - 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My latest question is why does Rock Auto have that note about verifying the design of the ball joint when none of the other brands have that note. The note is talking about inspection for fitment, not condition. Your explanation on checking condition is good, no questions there.
there are stamped steel, aluminum, and cast steel UCAs....more importantly aluminum spindles use different balljoints (than the nodular iron spindles) and its a mixed bag for a few years about which arms came with which spindles

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
there are stamped steel, aluminum, and cast steel UCAs....more importantly aluminum spindles use different balljoints (than the nodular iron spindles) and its a mixed bag for a few years about which arms came with which spindles
Exactly what I thought he was referring to. I am just lazy and did not want to look it all up to read it. Give me a damn link. ;)

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought he was referring to. I am just lazy and did not want to look it all up to read it. Give me a damn link. ;)
there really isnt any good info on which came with which..ive seen stamped with aluminum spindles, stamps with iron spindles , aluminum uppers with iron spindles, and aluminum with aluminum .... the cast/forged steel ive almost always seen with iron spindles thats about the only constant

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the link to GM GENUINE 25812725. but the note I'm seeing doesn't show up on the info page, I only see it on the summary page of all the different options for UCA.

I jacked drivers side up tonight to do further testing. Jacking point was engine cross member near back mounting point for LCA. The only place I get movement is if I pull at 12:00 on tire. Zero movement at 6, 3, 9:00. When pulling at 12, I can reach behind and feel the upper ball joint moving and clicking.
there really isnt any good info on which came with which..ive seen stamped with aluminum spindles, stamps with iron spindles , aluminum uppers with iron spindles, and aluminum with aluminum .... the cast/forged steel ive almost always seen with iron spindles thats about the only constant
I got some pics tonight, forged steel? or are we still not able to tell what I have from these pics? IMG_4240.jpegIMG_4241.jpeg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You lifted it with the ball joints in a loaded position, meaning the spring tension is still pushing them apart. I had said that if you get "any" play at the ball joints, lifted like this, then the ball joint is very bad. The correct way to really inspect is to jack up, one side at a time if you have only one jack, and position the jack lift point at the lower ball joint area of the lower control arm, near as can get to the tire. Lift the tire off the ground about 1-2 inches. Then the spring is not pushing against the ball joints. Then you can do your hand shakes and see what kind of play and noises you get. You can even use a long pry bar or very large screwdriver to pry up and down at the 6 position of the tire. Put the pry bar between bottom of tire and ground and pry up and down. You can even do all your hand shakes at all clock positions and also check the wheel bearing and spin the tire.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the link to GM GENUINE 25812725. but the note I'm seeing doesn't show up on the info page, I only see it on the summary page of all the different options for UCA.

I jacked drivers side up tonight to do further testing. Jacking point was engine cross member near back mounting point for LCA. The only place I get movement is if I pull at 12:00 on tire. Zero movement at 6, 3, 9:00. When pulling at 12, I can reach behind and feel the upper ball joint moving and clicking.

I got some pics tonight, forged steel? or are we still not able to tell what I have from these pics? View attachment 402290View attachment 402289
+1 to what @OR VietVet said and the upper control arms in your pics are cast iron. I don't see the lower control arms.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You lifted it with the ball joints in a loaded position, meaning the spring tension is still pushing them apart. I had said that if you get "any" play at the ball joints, lifted like this, then the ball joint is very bad. The correct way to really inspect is to jack up, one side at a time if you have only one jack, and position the jack lift point at the lower ball joint area of the lower control arm, near as can get to the tire. Lift the tire off the ground about 1-2 inches. Then the spring is not pushing against the ball joints. Then you can do your hand shakes and see what kind of play and noises you get. You can even use a long pry bar or very large screwdriver to pry up and down at the 6 position of the tire. Put the pry bar between bottom of tire and ground and pry up and down. You can even do all your hand shakes at all clock positions and also check the wheel bearing and spin the tire.
My bad. I see now. I jacked up the LCA as close to the ball joint as I could get. I now see/hear/feel the play pulling in all directions on the wheel. So I'm back to doing wheel bearings/hubs?
+1 to what @OR VietVet said and the upper control arms in your pics are cast iron. I don't see the lower control arms.
Thanks. LCA look the same. Kind of a moot point if I don't replace the UCAs now, but for the future: so I'm assuming the forged steel genuine GM parts are a suitable replacement, since I don't have aluminum knuckles?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bad. I see now. I jacked up the LCA as close to the ball joint as I could get. I now see/hear/feel the play pulling in all directions on the wheel. So I'm back to doing wheel bearings/hubs?

Thanks. LCA look the same. Kind of a moot point if I don't replace the UCAs now, but for the future: so I'm assuming the forged steel genuine GM parts are a suitable replacement, since I don't have aluminum knuckles?
you can always confirm which part you need by giving the last 8 of your vin to ANY gm parts department, some dealers are dikks and won't give out any info, in this case just hang up and call another, any gm will have this info. from sea to shinning sea
or post it up here and @915_Tahoe is usually kind enough to look it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10