Replacing cam position sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phantom240

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of troubleshooting my cam position sensor in my 99 Denali, and I realize now that it's under the distributor cap. I also learned recently that GM decided to be an astronomical douche and use a plastic distributor. Would it be more worthwhile to just replace the sensor, or get a whole new (metal) distributor while I'm back there? I mean, they're cheap enough, but is there any kind of benefit that would be had by switching out to a sturdier piece?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
nothing wrong with the plastic ones as long as the cap screws are not overtightened. the dizzy wears just like any other. it is good to keep the vents screens clean tho. if you want msd 5592 is a complete dizzy. aluminum body, sensor cap and rotor. they go for about $220. i have one installed.

OP
OP
Phantom240

Phantom240

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the plastic ones aren't really known to have any kind of random catastrophic failure resulting from GM's brilliance in material selection?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
not really. mine had 250k on it till i removed it a month or so ago. my reasons? the vents were getting clogged from my road trips and gases could not escape very easily so they would cause corrosion and what not and short out the cap. did not do it till i headed out east and in 13 months burned thru 3 caps with the msd lasting 2-3 times longer then delco. after 250k the gear and shaft were starting to wear. so instead of repairing it and getting another msd cap and rotor, i just did the full monty on it and replaced entire unit. so other then the plugs and the vortecs use i have a complete msd system installed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz