Replacing AC components

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outoforder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2004 Yukon XL AC compressor is making a knocking noise. I've been told that I should replace all the components in my system as it is likely the compressor has been spitting pieces of metal throughout the system. Am I able to clean out my system by disconnecting the condenser and AC lines and blowing compressed air through them? The Yukon is not my daily and sees about 3000 miles a year. I don't mind cutting a few corners if the end result works.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the cleaning out is not done right, you will waste your repair money. Flush needs to be done with correct a/c solvent by a qualified tech. Open the system up and replace compressor, orifice, accumulator, pressure switches/sensors and shrader valves and while open, then flush completely. Depending on what comes out, you may be replacing more. If you have rear a/c, more components back there will be needed.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fix air conditioners. If I were you, I would disconnect the lines from the compressor and see if there are chips anywhere. Possibly dismantle the line, they are usually not that long and see if anything can be seen in the lines. If you find chips there, you must replace the condenser and the dryer cartridge. Exchange, because the chips usually get caught there. You must also check the expansion valve. If you don't see any chips, simply replace the compressor and have the system checked for leaks and refilled.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fix air conditioners. If I were you, I would disconnect the lines from the compressor and see if there are chips anywhere. Possibly dismantle the line, they are usually not that long and see if anything can be seen in the lines. If you find chips there, you must replace the condenser and the dryer cartridge. Exchange, because the chips usually get caught there. You must also check the expansion valve. If you don't see any chips, simply replace the compressor and have the system checked for leaks and refilled.
You work on AC systems and you just told a guy to disconnect the lines from the compressor???? Why? So he can get a face full of refrigerant?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You work on AC systems and you just told a guy to disconnect the lines from the compressor???? Why? So he can get a face full of refrigerant?
Funny, explain how he should swap his failed compressor without disconnecting from the lines? :cool:

i presume that he empty the system before. But probably i should have written this.

But I appreciate your hint. In a German Forum 5 would have writen: DO NOT open the system. It is a Hazzard for the envoirement and could lead to the total destruction of the planet, what driving of a V8 SUV will do as well.

And 3 would have written. Don't do the repair yourself, it is dangerous to swap the compressor It can fall on your foot.

And for sure there would have been one who have written: If you ask that question you should not repair a air conditioning system.

So your comment was very reserved, so to speak.:thumbsup:

:favorites37:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe