Replacing 2003 Tahoe fuel filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a write up/how to on replacing the fuel filter on a 4.8L 2003 Tahoe? how often should it be done? :):mexsmoke::Handshake:

yukon23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replace mine every year just for preventative maintenance reasons. I have the 5.3 flex fuel and to change mine I remove the inlet line off the filter then i follow the fuel outlet line to the next connection about 7/8 inches away and remove the line there it uses the same wrench as the inlet I pull it as a unit then go over to the vice and cut the outlet tube from the filter body then I can slip the tool on and remove the hose from the piece of line left (after I blew some compressed air of coarse) I have never had luck getting the tool to slip past the housing lip to disengage the little lock spring and I have purchased every type of tool the first time around. Even from the local snap on dealer..

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
If your fuel filter is not accessible from under the truck hooked to the fuel lines than dont worry. I forgot what year they started putting the filters in the tank.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I have replaced mine several times, and I have an 01' 4.8 tahoe, and my fuel filter is under the driver side rear door, and doesn't require a special tool to remove. Believe it's a 14 or 15 mm wrench or use a adjustable, you will need to wrenches, one to loosen the swivel nut and the other to hold the filter nut. Pretty simple remove front nut by loosing with wrench's, then loosen rear nut same way. Watch out for fuel coming out of the line and filter once nut removed. You then reinstall new filter and the fuel filter will have an arrow to tell you what way to install. Re-tighten nuts and your good to go

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the fuel filter on my 2003 yukon. Mine is under the drivers front door area and held in by a plastic casing. Both ends had nuts on them. It was on there pretty tight as it had rusted over time (probably never been done before). Be patient with it if this is the case and if the nut starts to strip, STOP. There are other wrenches out there (not sure what they are called) that will hold the nut alot better than just a regular open ended wrench.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it flex fuel? If not then you need a set of flare wrenches which can be picked up from a local Craftsmen tool store or Snap-On, Mac Tools, ECT... If it IS flex fuel then you are gonna need a special tool like what is listed above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts