Replacing 06 Tahoe exterior door handle cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdjones

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to replace the black plastic exterior door handles/covers and liftgate handle on my 2006 tahoe with the painted version. I couldn't find anything covering the procedure online but I found a few of the steps.

This is great video on youtube for a Chevy Silverado with a door that looks almost identical. He removes the interior panel and clear plastic sheet. It does not look very difficult. I couldn't find anything on the liftgate handle.

Is there much more teardown from this point for the handle/cover? From what I can see in pictures I've found, the handle/cover is 1 piece with a metal mechanism in the lower corner and 3 bolts - one on each side and one on top. Undo those 3 and it drops from the outside and then put the replacement in its place? Is the handle mechanism hard to get back in place to open the door? Does the keyhole make the driver's side more difficult? Are there any tricks to getting this done easily?

Do I need any special tools to remove and install the handle/cover? Is there a rivet that needs to be removed when you switch out the cover and handle? How careful do you need to be with the clear plastic sheet inside the door? Would it stick back on without new adhesive?

Here is the door teardown procedure for a 2002 suburban but the door does not look like the 2006 tahoe - it is missing the circular plugs on both sides.

01TX_Tahoe

Semper Fi
Reaction score
its a lot easier than you might think. there's nothing to it. i've replaced a handle in about 20-30 mins before when mine got broken into. the keyhole on the driver side kinda snaps in place from the backside. make sure to take note on how the rods are placed and connected so they don't go back in backwards or in the wrong place. overall its a really simple job to do. no special tools needed either.

OP
OP
T

tdjones

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the two back handles were easy - unsnap the rod mechanism, unbolt, put the new one in its place, and snap the rod back on.

the front two look tougher. i don't see any room for my hand to get in there.

dpgcsu22a_02_suburban.jpg

Any tips? Should the detach/attach of the rod be done outside the door?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck