Exterior door handle - it don't work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to leave for work this morning and my drivers door was a bit froze shut (was 9F here). I had to tug the handle a couple times but then something inside the door broke so now the handle is not functional. The inside handle still works though.

I was messing around with it after I got home tonight. Got the interior panel pulled off but can't really see anything without more disassembling which I don't want to because I need to drive to work in the morning. If I pull off the vynil cap on the end of the door I can see a little finger inside there that engages with the handle along with a spring. Both are is loose. Anyone know what I need to get this functional again? Is it just some reassembly?

Attachments

• 20231101_172135.jpg
    20231101_172135.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the door handle does indeed need to be replaced? Mine are color matched so I'll to figure out where to find one.

@OR VietVet I seem to remember something about silicone spray used on the weather stripping to keep it from sticking to the door. I never worried about it though because I never had a door handle break.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So the door handle does indeed need to be replaced? Mine are color matched so I'll to figure out where to find one.

@OR VietVet I seem to remember something about silicone spray used on the weather stripping to keep it from sticking to the door. I never worried about it though because I never had a door handle break.
The door seals and other rubber sealing areas are part of a maintenance schedule that I use a silicone lube ointment on every year but even then they can stick at times. I kept the trim tool to use so I did not yank with the handle.

tuck16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ice storm in Oregon this weekend and I did a similar thing, pulled the rear passenger door handle out, the handle is in-tact and it still opens from the inside. I can see the rod through the opening, anyone have any idea which part(s) I would need to put it back together? I assume there may just be a plastic connector that broke or popped off the rod?
I looked at 1A Auto, ebay and carparts.com for a replacement handle, but mine is Summit White and i only see chrome or black. Is the Chevy Oxford white the same or similar enough to not notice, if i have to go that route?
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts