Replaced belt tensioner on 2002 5.3, squeal got worse SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyRosso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your squeal might not be the belt. It could be coming from a bearing in the a/c compressor, alternator, power steering pump or water pump.
I hand't thought of this.. you could be right, do you know any tricks for checking to see where the squeal is coming from?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I hand't thought of this.. you could be right, do you know any tricks for checking to see where the squeal is coming from?

You can use a long screwdriver (or anything, really) as a stethoscope to start poking around a little.

It can get a little messy, but I have found many a squeak with a carefully aimed can of AeroKroil while it's running.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it hasn't been done yet, remove both belts and run the engine for a short time to see if the belt/pulley system is causing the squeal. If it's no longer there, spin each pulley and idler by hand to check for smoothness and/or noise. If that all checks out, reinstall the A/C pulley and run the engine again. If there's still no squeal, reinstall the main belt and use a stethoscope device as @HiHoeSilver recommended.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the water pump bearing is going out typically it will cause the mechanical seal to start dribbling coolant and you will see wet marks coming out of the weep hole of the water pump. Grab the fan clutch and rock it side to side, this will usually show the play in a water pump bearing. The rest of the belt driven accessories have to be ruled out with a stethescope or the one belt install at a time method that Fless mentioned.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyRosso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so yesterday I took my belt off to check for loose pulleys again, and to try and run it briefly to see if the squeal was still there without the belt. The squeal was gone and I felt a wee bit of play in the power steering pump pulley. So, I out the belt back on and figured I would replace that pulley when I got a chance. But! When I put my belt back on, the squeal is completely gone. I've been driving it and haven't heard it once! Maybe it just needed taken off and put back together! If the squeal comes back though, I will definitely stethoscope it. Appreciate all your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879