Replaced belt tensioner on 2002 5.3, squeal got worse SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced tensioner pulley and had same issue with misalignment on idler pulley. Try flipping the idler pulley around, worked for me.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyRosso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so last night I was able to replace the belt and the idler pulley. The squeaking is gone! The idler pulley still rides a little off center, but it’s a smooth pulley with no grooves. It’s going good for now so I’m gonna keep checking on it and maybe add another spacer to line it up better

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket pulleys often come with nothing else in the box, just the pulley.
Spacers or any washers would have had to been transferred over from the old pulley.

I have used Gates idler pulleys on other vehicles. Great product, but you have to use the bolt, spacer and any washers from the old part.

Here is what an AC Delco pulley looks like. New Delcos do include the whole thing.
There is a pretty good sized spacer you can see behind the bearing.

I'll bet an aftermarket pulley with no spacer was used and the original got tossed in the trash.

71VdiEnmXUL._AC_SX425_.jpg

About $22 from RockAuto.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JohnnyRosso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, the idler pulley I took off had a spacer just like the AC Delco, but it still rides on edge.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyRosso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so I've replaced the idler pulley and the belt and the squeal is gone! The idler pulley still runs a little on edge, and I think I'll add an additional spacer when I get a chance. Thanks so much for all your help guys!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've replaced the idler pulley and the belt and the squeal is gone! The idler pulley still runs a little on edge, and I think I'll add an additional spacer when I get a chance. Thanks so much for all your help guys!
Thank you posting the solution to your issue. Much appreciated,

Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

If you could edit your post title to include the word 'SOLVED', it will help folks in the future who encounter a similar issue (to know that this thread actually has a posted solution).

OP
OP
J

JohnnyRosso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so quick update on this. When I first replaced idler pulley and belt in May, the squeal did go away. But, only a few days later, it started coming back.. but more intermittently. I got some other work done to fix my high idle (evap canister and O2 sensor actually helped a ton!) and then I wanted to figure out the squeal to get it running smooth all around. I realized the play in my idler pulley was actually because the part store sold me the WRONG ONE! So, I ordered the correct one (the AC Delco recommended on this page) and threw it on (much more stable, no play in idler pulley). However, now the squeal has gotten much, much worse. To the point where I don't even want to drive it around town, every time I hit the gas it screams bad. I keep checking everything on the belt and it is also totally normal, the same as before, just with new correct idler pulley. I'm wondering what could be causing this squeal? Is my belt possibly too tight..?

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I posted this before but,...
1659150365684.png
It sure diagnosed the misaligned power steering pump pulley on mine.
And this is what I used to adjust the pulley...
1659150628986.png

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so quick update on this. When I first replaced idler pulley and belt in May, the squeal did go away. But, only a few days later, it started coming back.. but more intermittently. I got some other work done to fix my high idle (evap canister and O2 sensor actually helped a ton!) and then I wanted to figure out the squeal to get it running smooth all around. I realized the play in my idler pulley was actually because the part store sold me the WRONG ONE! So, I ordered the correct one (the AC Delco recommended on this page) and threw it on (much more stable, no play in idler pulley). However, now the squeal has gotten much, much worse. To the point where I don't even want to drive it around town, every time I hit the gas it screams bad. I keep checking everything on the belt and it is also totally normal, the same as before, just with new correct idler pulley. I'm wondering what could be causing this squeal? Is my belt possibly too tight..?
Your squeal might not be the belt. It could be coming from a bearing in the a/c compressor, alternator, power steering pump or water pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts