Replace transmission fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once paid a service shop once to do a trans flush on a low mile vehicle I had just bought. After it was done I looked at the dipstick and there were a great many small black particles in the fluid. Never again, especially after hearing many horror stories caused by flushing.

That's why you should flush it yourself. Those flushing machines at most shops are used on vehicles with transmission problems, so the fluid gets contaminated. Most people wont ever service their transmission until it starts acting up.

Just follow the steps in the link I posted above, and you can flush it yourself for less than $10 invested for the brass hose barb fitting and some clear hose. And I used 13 quarts on my truck to fully flush it. I have the OEM trans cooler though, so if you don't have that it might only take 11 or 12 quarts.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I never touch the transmission oil but on my hoe it started to slip alot so i switched it and also put some anti slipping agent and it made a huge clunking noise and i have to get it overhauled. Id say dont do it unless u need 2

OP
OP
E

erikrichard

Reaction score
If it was slipping a lot before you changed it, an overhaul was imminent anyway. Replacing it every 30k is a very wise thing to do unless it's been neglected - then I wouldn't change it until it fails.
Scotty I hear you about flushing it yourself, I'm just not that ambitious.

zogg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 2006 Escalade with 98K miles...I was also not sure if it was changed before I bought it. I just spent the few dollars and change the fluid and filter myself. It was clean and smelled good. Now I just feel beter and don't have to worry about it. Peace of mind is worth every dime.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2006 Escalade with 98K miles...I was also not sure if it was changed before I bought it. I just spent the few dollars and change the fluid and filter myself. It was clean and smelled good. Now I just feel beter and don't have to worry about it. Peace of mind is worth every dime.

+1 :waytogo:

OP
OP
E

erikrichard

Reaction score
Replaced the fluids today, a couple comments.
First, why in hell did GM make the shift bracket so freakin hard to take off? I read there are a couple torx bolts holding it on at the top, but I couldn't find a size in my tool box that fit - doens't look like much room to work with a ratchet up there anyway. I was able to replace the trans filter without taking the pan all the way out, and drained most of the fluid thanks to the drain bolt - than goodness the gasket stayed intact. On my Astro van, the shift bracket is attached with 2 of the bolts holding the pan - this makes, i dunno, 10000000 times more sense?
Second, how in hell is one supposed to fill the transfer case? after much thought I decided the only way it was going to happen was by putting the autotrack fluid in a cleaned out differential squeeze bottle. After much cussing I was able to fill the transfer case, but had a real mess in the driveway to clean up.

Last edited:

HankHill

Reaction score
I was able to drop the trans pan on my 2000 without removing the shifter bracket. And GM expects you to use a fluid transfer hand pump to refill the transfer case. $7 at Harbor Freight.....

OP
OP
E

erikrichard

Reaction score
Maybe the 2002 is different, because I tried for a while before giving up.
As far as the pump, I suppose I should have done a search here before resorting to my messy solution.
On the positive, the spark plugs/wires were unbelievably easy compared to the minivans I've owned prior.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah on mine, I had to loosen the torx bolts holding the shifter bracket. They we're either T-27, or T-30 if I remember right. I didn't remove them completely because I was scared I would never get them back in, LOL! But a Torx bit on a small 1/4 inch ratchet did the trick. Once it was pretty loose, I could easily move it to the side to drop the pan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21