2018 Chevy Tahoe transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JACKLER97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Chevy Tahoe 5.3v8 LT with about 80,0000 miles. I bought it used at 75,000 miles and have changed the oil and spark plugs but I’m not sure what other maintenance it’s had. Iv been told about tahoes transmission problems and have been told I need to change my fluid before my trans starts slipping. I need to know what fluid to use and if the gasket is reusable.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Chevy Tahoe 5.3v8 LT with about 80,0000 miles. I bought it used at 75,000 miles and have changed the oil and spark plugs but I’m not sure what other maintenance it’s had. Iv been told about tahoes transmission problems and have been told I need to change my fluid before my trans starts slipping. I need to know what fluid to use and if the gasket is reusable.
Dex6 and the gasket's reusable unless its damaged. Drop the pan and study the bottom of it. If you see lots of dark burnt clutch material or kibbles and bits, stop - put the pan back on with a few bolts then yank it for overhaul. Torque converter is the most common failure point and they can damage the pump when they go. TCC failure / burn down is usually what goes wrong. Its a poorly designed clutch.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami&Queens NY.

If you bought this off a GM dealership [or another dealership] they should be able to find service records. If this was from a private owner they should have the past history on it unless they were sketchy.

The good news is the 2018-2020 Tahoe's had less issues with the transmission and everything else for the most part. But yes you are due for transmission service.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That gasket is probably still good to use. List of parts that I just got for our '19

Fluid ACDelco 10-9394 quart or 10-9395 gallon
Filter ACDelco 24236933
Factory type gasket ACDelco 24224781

Also a cabin filter CF188
Air filter 22845992 A3181C

Got all this at Amazon, not too impressed with the packing though. Hope this will straighten out ok.

tahoe trans pan gasket.jpg

Asset

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem 70k milage, but i car owner from start. 2018 Tahoe
Dealer is really pushing to change transmission fluid. But i have not done it yet,
I have another car toyota which is easy 100k without changing transmission oil. DO i really need it?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling the pan, cleaning the pan and magnet, and changing the filter cannot possibly hurt anything. Then just fill it up with the appropriate amount of fluid. It is so much better to do it that SOONER than the book calls for all the while avoiding a "flush" at a quick lube place that never replaces the filter or drops the pan for that matter.

2020RangerEd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was told Trans fluid change was recommended at 45,000 by GM. I had mine done at 50,000. I'd always heard do it by 50,000 or don't do it. I'm no expert, that's for sure.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told Trans fluid change was recommended at 45,000 by GM. I had mine done at 50,000. I'd always heard do it by 50,000 or don't do it. I'm no expert, that's for sure.

If you can, earlier is best - keep the fluid clean without ever getting dirty and you're transmission may end up even happier than normal.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change my transmission fluid roughly every 10k-15k miles.
I do the full pan drop and gasket and filter change every 45k miles.
Could I be wasting money with these intervals? Sure. But I'd rather keep the fluid as clean as possible to help this transmission from shtting the bed for what little $ it costs to pump a gallon of ATF out with a harborfrieght hand pump and fill it back up.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change my transmission fluid roughly every 10k-15k miles.
I do the full pan drop and gasket and filter change every 45k miles.
Could I be wasting money with these intervals? Sure. But I'd rather keep the fluid as clean as possible to help this transmission from shtting the bed for what little $ it costs to pump a gallon of ATF out with a harborfrieght hand pump and fill it back up.
No harm done - maybe slightly wasteful - not really when you consider the cost of things these days. If you were paying a shop to do fluid changes every 10,000 miles that would be a different story. Do you just stick the vacuum tube down the dipstick tube and into the transmission pan?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660