RENAMED!! The adventures of Chase and his 2006 Yukon XL Denali!! Follow along on my travels!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did them all with a socket, the upper nut iirc you have to kinda reach up there blind with a socket but once you know where it is your good, I didn’t remove any of the door glass on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. Every video I looked at on YouTube showed the glas being removed and no one said it could be done with put. When you did you’re, did you leave the glass rolled all the way up? Or did you roll it all the way down?

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Every video I looked at on YouTube showed the glas being removed and no one said it could be done with put. When you did you’re, did you leave the glass rolled all the way up? Or did you roll it all the way down?

I’m pretty sure I did it with the glass all the way up, cause I’d think if it was down it might block access to some of the bolts

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I did it with the glass all the way up, cause I’d think if it was down it might block access to some of the bolts

Interesting. I’ll have to try that for the passenger side handles. Cuz it was a major PITA... lol. That would shorten the job quite a bit!

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

I have never removed the glass on any of the doors to do the handles.

Once you remove the door panel and pull back the water shield you will have access to the inside.

There are only 3 nuts total to pull the handle out. IIRC 7 or 8mm. Sorry just took these off the other day but cannot recall the size.

Front doors - One bolt needs a socket extension after you remove the body plug from the door. That would be the rear top nut.

Second bolt needs a socket extension to remove. That would be the rear lower nut.

The front nut is the one you have to reach up inside sort of blind with your left hand. Socket without extension or open ended socket wrench makes it easier. Once loose this bit can be removed with your fingers.

Once the 3 nuts are off, move to the outside of the door as if you were opening it. Gently pull the handle up and out to expose the lock rod which fits through a small plastic sleeve into the handle.

Then the handle should be free to disassemble.

2F4AA6DF-41BD-48BA-93D6-F1CB875F7FCA.jpeg

Last edited:

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did them all with a socket, the upper nut iirc you have to kinda reach up there blind with a socket but once you know where it is your good, I didn’t remove any of the door glass on mine

+1 never had to remove the windows/regulators to get to the handles. Always used either a 1/4 ratchet or a wrench.

SteveB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

I have never removed the glass on any of the doors to do the handles.

Once you remove the door panel and pull back the water shield you will have access to the inside.

There are only 3 nuts total to pull the handle out. IIRC 7 or 8mm. Sorry just took these off the other day but cannot recall the size.

Front doors - One bolt needs a socket extension after you remove the body plug from the door. That would be the rear top nut.

Second bolt needs a socket extension to remove. That would be the rear lower nut.

The front nut is the one you have to reach up inside sort of blind with your left hand. Socket without extension or open ended socket wrench makes it easier. Once loose this bit can be removed with your fingers.

Once the 3 nuts are off, move to the outside of the door as if you were opening it. Gently pull the handle up and out to expose the lock rod which fits through a small plastic sleeve into the handle.

Then the handle should be free to disassemble.

View attachment 228652
Pretty sure the nuts are 10mm. I leave the rods attached to the handles , just unhook from the door latch.

SteveB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes leave the glass all the way up , down will block the nuts. A ratcheting wrench works great in there.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is this mess, it’s reqlly irritating me. Stupid tab is broken by all of a half inch piece of plastic... it’s so dumb that GM made this crap out of plastic.....
the drivers side that’s intact:

20655363-FAC3-4778-82B2-4F40DDF077DB.jpeg
And the broken side: 549E4BFF-22BC-4196-9DAC-2CE92D986443.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts