Removing Trim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've de-badged the read barn doors, but haven't taken anything else off. Should I remover the rest of the black trim along the sides and the LT emblem? Or will the color difference really be noticeable and look stupid?
photo.php

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
how old is the truck, and how clean is the paint around the trim you want to remove?

My 2005 Ram that I debadged in 2008 wasnt that bad, but it only had a 3 y/o paint job, that I clay barred, and detailed once a week. If its an older truck, then you may have noticable spots, but compounding and using a paint cleaner then full detail may take care of it.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to remove the trim on the side of my truck, but it's 13 years old and I'm concerned with the difference in paint tone.

OP
OP
RAWVORTEC

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a 99. The paint is really nice.I definately dont clay abr every week haha.but I do wax every 3 months and clay bar every 6. Wash it once a week. Its pewter paint. Im pretty picky and dont want to take it off and there be big outlines where the dirt or just the fade shows.

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
If you have kept up with it like that, then you may not have that much if any noticable difference when you remove it. Try a small section at first, and clean, clay bar, and wax and see how it turns out.

Gjovik

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pulled the trim off my '97 this past summer and was also curious about what I would find underneath that 16 year old trim....

I used a heat gun to loosen it all up, then peeled it back, finding some paint had chipped/bubbled/flaked off underneath. Because my paint wasn't perfect to begin with, I wasn't too bummed. I then took an eraser wheel to the glue/residue and sprayed the rocker panels with black plasti-dip to cover up the imperfections. Still looks fine half a year later. Glad I did it, but wouldn't have done it if I had perfect paint around the trim.

Attachments

• IMG_00000547.jpg
    IMG_00000547.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 28

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That black fender flare/black rocker panel looks really good. Brothers got a 96 just like it except it is silver at the bottom. Love the 2drs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts