Remote Start "Mode" While Running?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To begin, I'm about 99% sure nothing like this exists, maybe legal/liability reasons, or just not enough demand.

So, as most of us are aware, when you initiate a remote start cycle, the vehicle will of course start, then enter a state where all the doors are locked, the engine is running without a key in the ignition, if the hood is popped it will shut off, unless extended it will shut off after 10 mins, and the vehicle can't be shifted out of park (or maybe if it is, it shuts off...not certain on that one).

Ok, all that said, I frequently have situations where I would like to exit the vehicle, leave it running, but have it secured. Maybe I want to run into a convenience store real quick to grab a drink, or I live in an apt complex so I stop at the mail box station and want to get out to check my mail. I hate having to shut the vehicle off in such situations only to be restarting it again 2-5 mins later.

It's a shame there isn't a way once the vehicle is already running with the key in the ignition that you can't put the vehicle into that same "remote start mode", where you could then turn the ignition off and remove the key, open the door, lock the doors, close the door, and then have the vehicle left in that same engine running remote start state for the next 10 mins where if tampered with it will automatically shut off.

I suppose if I wanted the ability bad enough, in theory a "turbo timer" device would accomplish the goal. For any of you unfamiliar, some people are of the opinion that the life of a turbo is cut short if it stops spinning when it is still hot, so a turbo timer is a device that will keep a turbo charged vehicle running for a preset amount of time after the ignition is switched off to ensure an adequate cool down period.

And now I return you to your regularly scheduled forum browsing. :beer:

Sarge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carry a second key fob. Walk away from it running with key in, take 2nd fob or original out and lock. Sure its more risky since key is in ignition, but i think thats the only thing you can do unless you go with a complete aftermarket alarm/remote start kit

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's called comfort access and is a really nice feature....

On BMWs :D

And I know what you mean, seems menial taking a key out of your pocket to start the truck, but it annoys me having to do so after owning a vehicle with it. But you can leave exit vehicle, lock door with handle button, and unlock with button when you come back. Only downside is it's not a remote state, you can drive away without the key. It'll beep and cuss you out the entire time and whenever you get somewhere you won't be able to restart

OP
OP
Hi-psi

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I do the quick disconnect keyfob with my F250 (which doesn't have remote start), it was just a slow afternoon at work and I was contemplating how nice it would be to have the additional "security" or fail-safes that the remote start state has.

An additional note about the remote start that some may or may not know....if there is a code present, it won't work, and also if a code sets while running in a remote start session it will automatically shut off.

OP
OP
Hi-psi

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To thread hijack my own thread a little. I actually bought one of the Escalade fobs (I have a Denali) and it just came in today. It's definitely bigger than the standard fob. Not sure about it just yet. I'll give it a few days, see if it just feels too bulky.

BTW, kbuskill, several of my family members are members also. ;)

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
You could try the push button start kits, but a lot of them look super aftermarket and cheap, and they are some what of a pain to hookup.

I have something like the quick disconnect but mine is a magnet.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
To thread hijack my own thread a little. I actually bought one of the Escalade fobs (I have a Denali) and it just came in today. It's definitely bigger than the standard fob. Not sure about it just yet. I'll give it a few days, see if it just feels too bulky.

BTW, kbuskill, several of my family members are members also. ;)

I love my Esky fobs... the range is much improved over the standard key fobs... at least in my case. Before I would have to be within 100' or so, now I can remote start from across the parking lot without issue.

qcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Police Crown Victorias have an aftermarket system where you push a button and it allows the engine to remain on after removing the key. It also kills the engine if it is pulled out of Park. I don’t know if there’s a similar device for Police Tahoes.

Edit: Found it. It’s called Secure-idle. Looks like it’ll work on NNBS since it’s not a push button start.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont