Relatively dumb maintenance questions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I do remember when GM had the EVO steering sensor and what a pain those were to deal with. I guess I need to at least drive one with the electric power steering.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought the 2017 Tahoe 4x4 from Hertz around 22 months ago. I worked at Enterprise straight out of college, so I know the rental cars are probably maintained pretty well.

So I took it to the dealer for all service since 31k miles, now just hitting 44k miles 2 years later. I only drive around town, don't tow sh**, and my two longest trips were up to Jax Beach FL and this week to Sebring.

Questions :

-should I bother with any tranny flush/differential fluids, etc? Waste of $$$?
-Oil is going to get changed, do y'all run synthetic?
-Should I buy a cabin air filter plus air filter, and do it myself? or just pay the dealer, as my mech skills are pretty bad and I work all week , not on Tahoes.
-Anything else I should do at 44k miles?

Last question - how happy are you with the Black Bear tune? I averaged 22.7 mpg doing 80+ to Jacksonville, so I don't mind the AFM, in a 2017 , would you do a tune or not?

I like performance, but my wife just mall-crawls with it, so let me know your thoughts!

ANY and ALL replies appreciated!

I generally like to change all fluids early for the first time on my stuff but I generally don't recommend that to customers because they think they're being ripped off. My recommendation would be do a transmission filter as that will change 75% of the fluid plus you get a new filter. Definitely change the transfer case fluid, there are clutches in there that will greatly benefit from the new fluid (this should be done every 50k). I'd go ahead and change the differentials once but probably not worry about it again since they're already broken in, just make sure the front differential stays full since that fluid like to just disappear. Brake fluid is very important and many people forget about it, that should be done every 2-3 years not dependent on mileage. Definitely take care of the air filters, cabin filters are due at 20k miles and the engine air filters can go 30k-50k depending on how dirty your driving environment is. I would recommend using Mobil 1 oil, even if you have the dealer do the oil changes you can buy the oil at Wal-Mart in 5 qt. jugs and provide it to save some money since the single quarts cost much more.

If you have a reputable tuner in your area, an in person tune is always better. I've never used Black Bear but I wouldn't hesitate to based on what I've heard over the years. I've got a great tuner 10 minutes from my house so I've never had to use anyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebull12