Relatively dumb maintenance questions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought the 2017 Tahoe 4x4 from Hertz around 22 months ago. I worked at Enterprise straight out of college, so I know the rental cars are probably maintained pretty well.

So I took it to the dealer for all service since 31k miles, now just hitting 44k miles 2 years later. I only drive around town, don't tow sh**, and my two longest trips were up to Jax Beach FL and this week to Sebring.

Questions :

-should I bother with any tranny flush/differential fluids, etc? Waste of $$$?
-Oil is going to get changed, do y'all run synthetic?
-Should I buy a cabin air filter plus air filter, and do it myself? or just pay the dealer, as my mech skills are pretty bad and I work all week , not on Tahoes.
-Anything else I should do at 44k miles?

Last question - how happy are you with the Black Bear tune? I averaged 22.7 mpg doing 80+ to Jacksonville, so I don't mind the AFM, in a 2017 , would you do a tune or not?

I like performance, but my wife just mall-crawls with it, so let me know your thoughts!

ANY and ALL replies appreciated!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Questions :

-Should I buy a cabin air filter plus air filter, and do it myself? or just pay the dealer, as my mech skills are pretty bad and I work all week , not on Tahoes.

Last question - how happy are you with the Black Bear tune? I averaged 22.7 mpg doing 80+ to Jacksonville, so I don't mind the AFM, in a 2017 , would you do a tune or not?

I like performance, but my wife just mall-crawls with it, so let me know your thoughts!

The spec for your engine is for full synthetic fluid so I would run what it was designed for. Yes, change all your driveline fluids by and every 50K miles. Good insurance/early warning man.

Don't the K2s already have the cabin filter?

Am well pleased with the BlackBear tune on my older GMT900. Best part to me is transmission performance. Much more fun to drive than before, the extra power is nice too.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since it spent most of it's life as a rental and likely got driven pretty hard, IMO, I would do all the fluid changes now and get it to a base that you KNOW what has been done. I would include the brake fluid and the P/S fluid as well. Air filter if needed. I would do the cabin air filter now too. Your call of course.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought the 2017 Tahoe 4x4 from Hertz around 22 months ago. I worked at Enterprise straight out of college, so I know the rental cars are probably maintained pretty well.

So I took it to the dealer for all service since 31k miles, now just hitting 44k miles 2 years later. I only drive around town, don't tow sh**, and my two longest trips were up to Jax Beach FL and this week to Sebring.

Questions :

I did the tranny flush at 60K miles but 50K miles will probably be better. Dealer did it.

Only run 0w20 Synthetic. I recommend Mobil 1 or AC Delco Full Synthetic like the dealer uses. I change the oil at 5K miles. if you use a different oil make sure it has Dexos.

Cabin filter... I do mine around 35K miles as I leave my a/c system constantly on. Air filter would be good also at 44K miles.

My AFM is still enabled as it does not bother me but to each their own.

I only use 87 octane Exxon-Mobil fuel. I get around 23-24MPG if is all 100% highway. Do not buy Shell fuel.

You really should not need anything else. Anything else be would be a wallet flushing.

All that IMHO.

I am at 76K miles and that is all I have done so far.

BTW I have bought [ as well as family members] many rental vehicles. They were all serviced regularly at 5K miles. No issues with them. I agree most rental agencies maintain them. I bought from Enterprise and Hertz.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the time is appropriate, do consider a Black Bear tune. You will be happy with it, and it won't be any less driveable for your wife.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was owned by an 80 yr old gentleman for 2 years/22k miles. It was babied. I still did dif, trans, oil the week I brought it home. Now I know it’s done right.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
P/S fluid that’s funny we have electric power steering.

What's this we stuff Kimosobee! If I have P/S fluid everyone else should. I own a 2002. Again, I ran shops for 35+ years and have not in about 10 so I am unaware of this. Old dog. New tricks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's this we stuff Kimosobee! If I have P/S fluid everyone else should. I own a 2002. Again, I ran shops for 35+ years and have not in about 10 so I am unaware of this. Old dog. New tricks.

K2s have electric steering as did the GMT900 Hybrids. I do not know if it is electric/hydraulic or not though, never paid attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebull12