Reeee Dooooo!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up removing the plastic pieces and mounting two pieces of wood across the metal supports with screws. With the wood painted black, it works pretty good and looks fine

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

chadw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seats are super comfortable tho. I have drove it around the neighborhood the last 2 nights and I’m impressed. I think the dura foam from the seat shop is where it’s at!! I was suppose to get the seats done for 150 each but the guy that I had do them is one of those guys who keeps asking for more money saying how hard something was. Hit me up first for an extra 250for more “supplies” and a few. Ore times after that but he did a killer job on them and I’m happy so it’s all good. It’s the material that cost a grip but I got a smoking deal on it. The material I used was Douglas leather , and it’s aircraft grade so it’s fire retardant I guess.each hide goes anywhere from 900-1100 or so depending on the sq. Ft. I’m trying to remember how many hides that I took him. Either 3 or 4 but he used them all.i think it was 3. So yeah the seats have around 4000 into them which just sounds full on retarded if you ask me! I have about half that into them which is still a lot. I don’t see how katzkin or the others can sell them for under 1000 unless it’s shirt materialand mostly vinyl

Old post i know, and looks great! But fyi: katzkins cost savings come in from scale of production, not material skimping. The leather and vinyl is all computer cut from a cnc pattern to minimize waste and waste time. Technicians are paid per piece to sew them, so they have a motivated work force (interestingly enough they have to pay for mis sewn pieces). Most kits (much like factory "leather" interiors) are not all leather, unless, in katzkins case, you order it that way for much more money. Most kits come similar to most factory leather. Leather facings on the front, leather inserts in the second row and an all vinyl third row. (Some older kits are more, but im mostly referring to newer, in general kits.) The leather they use in the standard lineup is a fully topcoated, aniline dyed leather. They do have an upper end leather, i forget its name, that gives up some durability for hand feel, (and the warranty reflects this) these are some GREAT alternatives on the upper end of the spectrum, bit katzkin does a great job fulfilling a need in the market, at a good price point. Thats not to take away from the small trim shop. The best custom work ive seen has come out of small, independant shops, and your seats look to be one of those! Just some boring insight from a (former) industry technician.

Anyhow, long post, but hopefully its been educational, and again, your seats and interior looks GREAT!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Old post i know, and looks great! But fyi: katzkins cost savings come in from scale of production, not material skimping. The leather and vinyl is all computer cut from a cnc pattern to minimize waste and waste time. Technicians are paid per piece to sew them, so they have a motivated work force (interestingly enough they have to pay for mis sewn pieces). Most kits (much like factory "leather" interiors) are not all leather, unless, in katzkins case, you order it that way for much more money. Most kits come similar to most factory leather. Leather facings on the front, leather inserts in the second row and an all vinyl third row. (Some older kits are more, but im mostly referring to newer, in general kits.) The leather they use in the standard lineup is a fully topcoated, aniline dyed leather. They do have an upper end leather, i forget its name, that gives up some durability for hand feel, (and the warranty reflects this) these are some GREAT alternatives on the upper end of the spectrum, bit katzkin does a great job fulfilling a need in the market, at a good price point. Thats not to take away from the small trim shop. The best custom work ive seen has come out of small, independant shops, and your seats look to be one of those! Just some boring insight from a (former) industry technician.

Anyhow, long post, but hopefully its been educational, and again, your seats and interior looks GREAT!
Only thing with Katzkin is you can't order directly from them. Need to get it from an authorized dealer.

chadw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing with Katzkin is you can't order directly from them. Need to get it from an authorized dealer.
True. Many smaller trim shops have an account with katzkin, roadwire, alea, gosford, etc. They can help ya pick colors and get you the right pattern . Theres an online vendor that carries them too. But enough of my hijacking. Op, seriously your truck looks GREAT! im sorry you learned a hard lesson about glue. Dap is the ONLY stuff ill use for this kinda stuff. The rest is amature hour stuff.

OP
OP
Ryan Buck

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you for that, I looked at katskin for a while before I did anything. It’s weird because some of the venders will have options for the03-06 and On the actual website itself there’s no listing for them. I also found quite a few other shops just like them someone a lot cheaper. You just have to Google leather replacement covers and stuff like that.Most people would be shocked to find out they can replace the whole seat leather for The same price they are paying the seat shop for just the bottom cover. The guy who covered my seats this is the little old man that’s been doing it for 40 years and said .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz

Latest posts