Rebuilding a steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting videos, Matthew. 2004 Tahoe, 111k on the clock. I'm in the process of trying to remove slop from my steering gear, and wonder if you have any insight about doing it on the truck. Gearbox is a reman NAPA installed a few years ago, maybe around 10k miles on it.

Originally I could move my steering wheel back and forth a few inches (at center) and not get any movement to the output shaft, testing with truck on the ground. The input shaft doesn't have play. I've made a full clockwise turn on the allen screw, but still have some steering wheel movement without the pitman arm moving. I didn't want to go too far, but do you think it would make any difference to unload the frontend by raising the wheels off the ground?

Would appreciate any comments or thoughts from you and the group.
Um, not sure raising up off the ground would do much. But certainly wouldn't hurt to see if is easier to observe the play.

I don't recall which way tightens the set screw. You will want to go an 1/8th turn and see if that helps. I would mark the nut and cap so you know exactly where you started from.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video of me adjusting outside the vehicle.

Note you will want to leave a VERY slight lash/ gap for oil film to remain on gear. Don't make it super tight or you will wear the gear out.... I learned that hard way.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Um, not sure raising up off the ground would do much. But certainly wouldn't hurt to see if is easier to observe the play.

I don't recall which way tightens the set screw. You will want to go an 1/8th turn and see if that helps. I would mark the nut and cap so you know exactly where you started from.

Hope that helps

I did mark both the allen screw position and the case. Your video shows you turning the allen screw clockwise to tighten, so I'm good with that.

I'll raise the tires off the ground and move them horizontally (3 to 9 o'clock) to see if the play in the pitman arm connection (output) is getting better, but not too tight. My initial test was done by rotating the input shaft and watching the splined output shaft for movement, but I don't know if that would produce the same results.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fless- If you have a helper that can slowly & gently rock the wheel 1/2 in L/R while you tighten ball track screw till play reduces or you feel balls usually works. If you feel resistance back off 1/2 turn or test drive where there is zero traffic.
No need to Jack.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fless- If you have a helper that can slowly & gently rock the wheel 1/2 in L/R while you tighten ball track screw till play reduces or you feel balls usually works. If you feel resistance back off 1/2 turn or test drive where there is zero traffic.
No need to Jack.

Great, thanks. That'll save me some work. Son is coming over tomorrow to assist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645