Rear windows only operate at drivers controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pt1965

Reaction score
i heard its common for the driver side button console to go bad, but if i dont want the window lockout feature can i just clip a wire to disable it and then the windows will work independently?

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue is most likely that the switch at each door has failed. You can buy a new switch for under $20 and it'll take you only 5 minutes to replace each.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i heard its common for the driver side button console to go bad, but if i dont want the window lockout feature can i just clip a wire to disable it and then the windows will work independently?

The issue is most likely that the switch at each door has failed. You can buy a new switch for under $20 and it'll take you only 5 minutes to replace each.

$8 delivered.

My rear door switches went out about six months apart. This is the second one I bought, which was identical to the previous in ACDelco box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Power...07-2013-NEW-/391919033893?hash=item5b4031de25

Why not just let windows be operated by backseat passengers; leave the electric lock in the off position?

I'm sure the switches could be taken apart and cleaned but for $8...

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you tried pressing the window lock out button maybe you pressed it

OP
OP
pt1965

pt1965

Reaction score
thanks, so it seems like it is ussually at each door switch? i figured it was a bad lockout switch. i will probably pull the drivers console out and bypass the lockout switch first to be sure it is at the door.
thanks

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, so it seems like it is ussually at each door switch? i figured it was a bad lockout switch. i will probably pull the drivers console out and bypass the lockout switch first to be sure it is at the door.
thanks

The switches in each door are cheap. And you do not need to remove door panel to replace—-just pop the trim panel off, disengage old switch, replace with new switch, and pop everything back together.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed too much work doing it that way. If you want to verify the door switch swap it with any of the other doors all 3 use the same switch.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the child safety switch (the one on the back door jamb of each rear door) turned? If that's not the case, you can try to cycle the lockout switch on the driver's door to make sure the contacts just don't have something gumming them up, like some SoccerMom's spilled latte from a previous owner.

You have provided zero information on what year/model truck you have, so if it's a PPV or SSV, the rear window switches are usually unplugged from the factory.

OP
OP
pt1965

pt1965

Reaction score
2010 burban. the safety switches just keep the door from opening from inside. it seems that the general consensus is bad switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157