Rear window washer fluid not dispensing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ymc226

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 Suburban LT with 38K miles. Just lost function of fluid dispensing but wiper still works. Is this a common problem and is there an easy fix I can do myself?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the washer tank has 2 pumps on the bottom, 1 for the front window and 1 for the rear, could be the pump died for the rear, or sometimes the washer fluid hose will crack or break and just piss fluid out on the ground. you can get a helper and have them press the button and listen to see if you can hear the pump run or not and/or check to see if the fluid is spraying out under the truck. if the line cracked you can fix it easy with rubber line and just patch it up

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are excellent YouTube videos that walk you through the entire process, step by step, of replacing either of the two windshield washer pumps, and both are accessed from the left front left wheel well. You will also have some work to do within the engine well. For my 2007 Yukon XL Denali, the job is simple.

As Double stated, be sure to FIRST confirm that you do not have a windshield washer fluid hose leak. Take his recommendation seriously, and with assistance from another person, hold the windshield washer switch depressed for a period of time, and see if you find any windshield washer fluid dripping from anywhere under the truck.

My rear windshield washer was not delivering fluid to the rear windshield, and I assumed that one of the windshield washer pumps had failed. I purchased a replacement windshield washer pump from Rock Auto, and I proceeded to disassemble windshield washer pump assembly to replace the failed windshield washer pump, using a YouTube video as a reference. Before replacing the windshield washer pump, I tested it with an external 12VDC power supply, and low and behold, the windshield washer pump was operating perfectly fine.

THEN, I started tracing the windshield washer fluid line, and I found that a hose coupling had separated, right behind the spare battery holder on the driver's side of the engine well. I simply re-attached the coupling, and I had windshield washer fluid pouring over my rear windshield.

Good luck to you!

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2016 Suburban LT with 38K miles. Just lost function of fluid dispensing but wiper still works. Is this a common problem and is there an easy fix I can do myself?

Yep. Latest thing to go on mine too. 40k miles. Just had it in the shop to fix a
Couple other things. Loose seats, bad lifters. I’ll wait till next oil change to give more $$$ to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14