Rear view mirror trim fell off wtf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I have bought a few new vehicles in my day and the paperwork always reflected the warranty starting on the purchase date and tacked on the warranty mileage onto whatever was on the odometer when I bought it. Did you look at your paperwork from back then and if you don't have it, the paperwork will be in GM's system. I would look whoever told you this, right in his face and call him a liar. That is ******' ********! :321:

Ask him where the turnip truck is. You know, the one you were supposed to have fallen off of.

Both the service adviser at the dealer and the ******* GM rep yahoo I spoke to feed me that bull crap. I'm going dig up those documents and see what they say.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the warranty starts on the vehicle’s in service date. If it was put into demo service or used as a service loaner, the date would be the date it went into service and not the purchase date. This would apply even if the vehicle had 50 miles on it. If the vehicle was truly new and not placed into service as a demo or service loaner, the the I service date should be the purchase date.

Another thing occurs to me is that the vehicle could have been previously sold, the sale reported to GM and then the deal cancelled for whatever reason. If the dealer did not contact GM to reverse the in service date (assuming that they could), you would be stuck with that in service date.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Just curious what the outcome with this was? Did GM pay the rest of the 40% or did you?

OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Another thing occurs to me is that the vehicle could have been previously sold, the sale reported to GM and then the deal cancelled for whatever reason. If the dealer did not contact GM to reverse the in service date (assuming that they could), you would be stuck with that in service date.

Could be, how would I know?

Just curious what the outcome with this was? Did GM pay the rest of the 40% or did you?

Still waiting to hear from GM, hopefully I can hear something this week.

Last edited:

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, as much as I would like to agree with you guys, I've bought a lot of new vehicles. The warranty says 36k miles or 60K or whatever. It's complete garbage, but 36,001 and it's out of warranty. It doesn't matter how many miles were on it when you bought it. Unless you got an extended warranty or some special deal with the dealer (in writing) I've never heard of the warranty mileage being pro-rated.

With all that being said, I think it's total BS when something breaks a 100 miles out of "warranty" and they will not fix it. I definitely think there should be some exceptions made for things that should be warranty issues.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, as much as I would like to agree with you guys, I've bought a lot of new vehicles. The warranty says 36k miles or 60K or whatever. It's complete garbage, but 36,001 and it's out of warranty. It doesn't matter how many miles were on it when you bought it. Unless you got an extended warranty or some special deal with the dealer (in writing) I've never heard of the warranty mileage being pro-rated.

With all that being said, I think it's total BS when something breaks a 100 miles out of "warranty" and they will not fix it. I definitely think there should be some exceptions made for things that should be warranty issues.
I get what your saying but why bother writing the mileage of a NEW vehicle on the contract when delivered... horseshit.

agree about the 100 over 36k or whatever..... it’s like they breath a sigh of relief..... whew.... made out on that moron...if it breaks now it’s all on him...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be, how would I know?

Still waiting to here from GM, hopefully I can hear something this week.
what does your paperwork say?, I bought my 18 used being well aware of the remainder of the factory 3yr 36k miles remaining, I also purchased a 3rd party warranty for 6yrs 60k miles (whichever comes first), that paperwork states that that warranty starts from the date of warranty purchase, I was reading reviews on the warranty provider and some people were reporting the warranty provider was telling people the warranty was from the date of vehicle manufacture which is simply not true I have it in writing. I don't know if those reports are true or if the provider was trying to take advantage of ignorant people or what, but I would read the fine print to be sure what the case is here.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get what your saying but why bother writing the mileage of a NEW vehicle on the contract when delivered... horseshit.

For the same reason they write it down on a used one, paperwork and required by your states DMV/registration process. I think a vehicle can be deemed "new" as long as it has less than 5k miles on it and has never been sold to a private owner or 3rd party (I think that is how it works in CO, but my numbers may be incorrect). That's why demo cars, the managers drive, can still be sold as "new". If you guys find a dealership that lets factory warranty add additional miles on their 36k mile warranty for free please post up, because I would love to give them my business.

I think this also explains why a "used" car with 10k miles on it still ends it's factory warranty at 36k miles (or whatever factory warranty the manufacturer has set, 60k, 100k, etc.). If the theory holds, then why wouldn't they give you a 46k mile warranty on a "used" car if you bought it from the dealer with 10k miles on it?

I'm just trying to have the conversation, not trying to be an jerk or anything. :)

CXXX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1. The dealer may have reported the vehicle delivered to earn extra production allocation, or it was reported as a demo or courtesy loaner as previously stated, if the latter were true it would have had mileage on the odometer.
2. The lane camera does NOT come with the windshield. The mount for it does. I just had both windshields replaced on my 2018 Yukon and Sierra, both vehicles have this option.
3. That trim piece snaps on to cover the camera.
4. Has the windshield ever been replaced on you vehicle, maybe they didn't reinstall correctly?
5. I would have a glass shop look at it and give you a 2nd opinion.
6. At the very least go to a different dealer and have them look at it. Have them look at it and tell you what the fix is BEFORE you go through all the info you have been told so far.