Rear shocks for a 4" drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I own an 05 lt 2wd Tahoe with a 5.3. i wanna look into dropping the rear and possibly looking into a key delete for the front. but anyway, im looking for recommendations for a set of rear shocks, suitable for a 4 inch drop. Shorter rear springs and a set of shocks or extenders will do the trick right? Ive never worked with suspension yet. I'd appreciate any tips thanks.

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to Atomic's coil-over conversion for the front?

https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product/99-06-torsion-bar-coilover-package/

Or if you are referring to a torsion key change, I do not recommend doing them, and if you do I would not get anything more than a 1 inch drop. I will be doing a Belltech 2" drop spindle on my Yukon.

4 in or greater rear drop will need free travel mod, shock extenders, springs, bump stops replaced or cut and either shorter ride sensor rods or resistors to delete if you have the z55 autoride.

Shocks, I have heard good things about Bilstein 4600s and Belltech street performance. I cannot comment on either as I do not have those on my Yukon. I will probably go with the Bilsteins when I change mine out.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shock extenders regain 3" of lost travel, so the stock shocks will only be compressed 1" from where they were before the drop. You can get shorter shocks and run them with or without the extenders, depending on how much shorter the shocks are. For example, you don't wanna get 3" shorter shocks AND extenders because that'd be like a 6" shorter shock. It'd have plenty of uptravel ("bump", "compression", etc.), but could bottom out when extended ("droop") on larger humps and dips.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the beltech sp shocks and I just took the off in the front and put my old factory shocks back on. To soft for me

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a dug-up old, probably necro thread. But, after installing extenders this past weekend on mine, I realized that I was incorrect in this:

Shock extenders regain 3" of lost travel, so the stock shocks will only be compressed 1" from where they were before the drop. You can get shorter shocks and run them with or without the extenders, depending on how much shorter the shocks are. For example, you don't wanna get 3" shorter shocks AND extenders because that'd be like a 6" shorter shock. It'd have plenty of uptravel ("bump", "compression", etc.), but could bottom out when extended ("droop") on larger humps and dips.

In case someone happens across this, extenders regain 2" of travel. The mounting points in the extenders have a 3" difference, but the angle at which the shock is mounted negates about an inch of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC