Rear Semi-metallic Brake Pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacWarrior

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Yes, I am new here. I need some help on 2009 Tahoe rear brake pads. What is the best brake pad out there? I am looking at a semi-metallic brake pad. The reasoning for that is because I do a lot of driving between Ohio and New York City and in between there is a lot of hills and mountains to go through and sometimes it also requires hauling a trailer. I also have to say that driving in New York City is also a major challenge and I need to have fast-breaking at times. (And that is an understatement.)

I understand that semi-metallic brake pads can put more wear on the rotors but for the kind of driving that I do, it's my understanding that this is the better type of pad to use. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! in advance.

And who has the best prices too?

MacWarrior
Proud Tahoe Owner!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At Rock Auto: 17D1194SDH AC Delco, Ceramic Long Life, Truck & Tow $44.79

17D1194MHPVF1 AC Delco Performance and Better stopping, semi metallic Police pad $44.79

Welcome to the forum from Oregon

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Yes, I am new here. I need some help on 2009 Tahoe rear brake pads. What is the best brake pad out there? I am looking at a semi-metallic brake pad. The reasoning for that is because I do a lot of driving between Ohio and New York City and in between there is a lot of hills and mountains to go through and sometimes it also requires hauling a trailer. I also have to say that driving in New York City is also a major challenge and I need to have fast-breaking at times. (And that is an understatement.)

I understand that semi-metallic brake pads can put more wear on the rotors but for the kind of driving that I do, it's my understanding that this is the better type of pad to use. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! in advance.

And who has the best prices too?

MacWarrior
Proud Tahoe Owner!

Ceramic pads are tougher on rotors I read somewhere once. Having said that, I like the stock stuff, GM Original Equipment. Lasts a long time and stops 14,000 pounds no problem.

Make sure you get the new drag reduction clips; they not only improve pad life, they increase coasting and gas mileage too.

Are you going to replace the slide pins and slide pin bushings? How about the rotors? How's the parking brake working?

Check your axle seals while it is apart.

OP
OP
M

MacWarrior

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ceramic pads are tougher on rotors I read somewhere once. Having said that, I like the stock stuff, GM Original Equipment. Lasts a long time and stops 14,000 pounds no problem.

Make sure you get the new drag reduction clips; they not only improve pad life, they increase coasting and gas mileage too.

Are you going to replace the slide pins and slide pin bushings? How about the rotors? How's the parking brake working?

Check your axle seals while it is apart.

Everything was replaced in May 2018. Rotors, pads, calibers, emergency brake pads. I have to replace the rotors and pads because both rotors have a crack from the outside to the inside of the circle. The rotors are being replaced under Warranty. Not sure if there is an underlying problem but a service tech checked everything and replaced part of the brake line on 1 side in July 2018 and everything was fine, so I thought, since then till this week.

But what are the slide pins and slide pin bushings? I didn't see that in the replacement videos.

Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's no biggee. If you don't know that is why you ask. That is why the forum is here. I have only known of one perfect man and he died a long time ago. If you ask we will try to help in any way we know how. No matter who may go in to the brakes to do the work, you or a shop, it is very important to reinstall parts, new or re-used, that you make sure are very clean and lubed where necessary. watch the you tube videos if you are doing. Not just one but two or three and compare. Even a brand new rotor needs cleaned so that no very fine metal chips are left on the surface because that will embed in to the pad friction surface and cause noises and poor braking. I know lots of guys think brakes are easy. It can be, just like an oil change, as long as it is done right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC