Rear QA1 Shock Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
The last lowered vehicle I owned never had the ride quality that I was looking for and I even tried three different set of shocks (stock, kyb, and bilstein). Since it was so hard to find a shock that gave the ride I wanted I have always wondered how well adjustable shocks work on a daily driver...once I bought my Tahoe I found myself daydreaming about QA1 shocks on it. I was recently able to make this happen for the rear of my tahoe and here's a rundown of what I did.

First, you need to check YOUR requirements for fully compressed and fully extended shocks by measuring your rear suspension travel *without* shocks and springs installed. I called QA1 directly and they recommended that I use shocks from their "Stocker Star" line. I found details about extended and compressed shock length here:

http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/drag-and-street/shocks-and-struts/stock-mount-shocks-and-struts/stocker-star/single-adjustable.html

I removed my springs and rear shocks and measured the extended and compressed heights that I needed. I ended up ordering TS802 single-adjustable shocks:
Wi-TqGh3sYzUnkJiEl_ZbiOAZn07wwmZa1ic=w1205-h678-no.jpg
20131115_164500.jpg

One challenge of the TS802's is that they come with a stud for the top mount and an eyelet for the bottom mount. The stud will not work on our NBS Tahoe's:
20131115_164526.jpg

The fix to this is to order an extra pair of upper eyelet mounts and swap them on. This is incredibly easy to do yourself. Here's the "factory" stud end:
20131115_164526.jpg

You loosen the lock nut:
20131115_164555.jpg

Then you remove the stud:
20131115_164623.jpg

Here are the stud and eyelet mounts next to each other:
20131115_164644.jpg

Then you install the eyelet mount and tighten the lock nut:
20131115_164723.jpg

Here is a comparison of one completed and one "out of the box":
20131115_165255.jpg

The eyelet mount ads a little bit to the length, so keep this in mind. It's hard to tell from the photo below due to the angle, but fully compressed measurement is right around 14" and fully extended is at 21.5" - this fit the rear of my Tahoe's setup PERFECT. Here is a comparison of fully compressed and extended:
20131115_165809.jpg

There are two other things I did to get these to fit. First I picked up new bolts for the top and bottom of each shock that match the sleeve diameter on the shock's upper and lower eyelets:
*) 1/2" x 3.5" bolts (2) & 1/2" nuts (2)
*) 7/16 x 3.5" bolts (2) & 7/16" nuts (2)
The bolts ended up being a little too long, so I really should have gotten them in 3" in length. Next I needed to get the shocks centered on their mounting bolts. My short term solution is to use washers to ensure that the shocks are centered. This isn't ideal, so my long-term fix will be to make some spacers once everything is dialed in with the rest of my lowering project. Here's an installed pic:
20131208_211746.jpg

The results are OUTSTANDING. The shocks have 18 settings for adjustment. For everyday driving I set them to adjustment 8. My wife and our two kids just drove from Texas to Tennessee and back and the shocks performed perfectly...the ride was perfect. And as far as adjusting them, I can stop the Tahoe, jump out and adjust both shocks and be back in the Tahoe in less than a minute.

Important note: these single-adjustable QA1 shocks dampen the ride by way of valves instead of gas pressure. Because of this I observed somewhere between 1-2" in loss of height in the rear of my Tahoe after putting these on. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly how much it lowered the rear since I didn't measure ride height before installing because I wasn't expecting this. This isn't a bad thing, it's just something to look out for if you do this.

In case you can't tell, I highly recommend doing this.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always heard great things about these.

Another member iCalvin has these on his Avalanche.

Did not know about the loss in height thogh.

OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Always heard great things about these.

It's probably good to mention that I'm not affiliated with QA1 in any way...I bought mine with my own hard-earned dough, and I cannot say enough good things about them. They're about the same cost as non-adjustable new shocks and in some cases cheaper (think bilsteins).

Another member iCalvin has these on his Avalanche.

I read about him in another thread somewhere but I could never find any more info about his Avalanche. :(

Did not know about the loss in height thogh.

I was surprised as well. I view the loss in height as a good thing...others may not. If you set the QA1's to their lowest setting out of the vehicle you can extend/compress them 100% by hand with moderate effort...then they stay at whatever length you extend/compress them to. Try compressing a stock Tahoe shock with your bare hands and see how far you get. ;)

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Sweet!! Always wanted to do QA1's, just never think about it when it comes to do shocks. Bet that's a good ride. Are you lowered? Throw up a pic of your ride.

Never mind. Just saw other thread. You have the smaller wheels on. Bet those shocks help the ride. Great shocks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Sweet!! Always wanted to do QA1's, just never think about it when it comes to do shocks. Bet that's a good ride. Are you lowered? Throw up a pic of your ride.

Never mind. Just saw other thread. You have the smaller wheels on. Bet those shocks help the ride. Great shocks!

lol...yep...it's me...it's *that* guy with the small wheels. ;) Despite my wheels the ride is excellent because I can tune them where I want. You should dive into some QA1's the next chance you get. I expect it will be the last pair of rear shocks for my Tahoe since they can also be rebuilt. :)

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
flip bolts around up top. They can contact tire and cut into it.

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice man i like that. Truck looking good, hows the ride with them after putting some miles on them? Qa1's are nice shocks. Think im adding this to my bucket list.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason u lost ride height is because the stock shocks or nivomats have load handling built into them. If u just replace the rear shocks it will lower the rear. It happened to me when I put Bilsteins on. I had to order the matching spring otherwise I would bottom out real ez and not be able to carry any weight in the truck. I'm looking at qa1 or Ridetech for all 4 corners.

Did u change the springs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edited
Realized who you were. lol.

Did you make that trip w/ the qa1's lowered at your current stance? Mine is my daily and will be. But being able to adjust them sounds like a good ride could be had even being low.

Gianni - That would be an awesome ride i would imagine w/ all 4 qa1's and being able to adjust them. Might be cheaper than the coil over kit thread for the front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
nice man i like that. Truck looking good

Thanks. I've put a lot of effort into getting it where it is today and I every time I see my Tahoe from the outside I get giddy because it is exactly what I was aiming for.

The reason u lost ride height is because the stock shocks or nivomats have load handling built into them. If u just replace the rear shocks it will lower the rear. It happened to me when I put Bilsteins on. I had to order the matching spring otherwise I would bottom out real ez and not be able to carry any weight in the truck. I'm looking at qa1 or Ridetech for all 4 corners.

I don't know much about the nivomats and what I read didn't help me understand them completely, but I get what you're saying here. It's nice to know I'm not completely off my rocker. How much do adjustable Ridetech's cost for all four corners?

Did u change the springs?
Yes, I was on a set of djm 3" drop springs during the QA1's round-trip test drive from Texas to Tennessee.

Did you make that trip w/ the qa1's lowered at your current stance? Mine is my daily and will be. But being able to adjust them sounds like a good ride could be had even being low.

I made the trip with the QA1's in the rear with the 3" djm drops springs, but I also had 2" drop spindles and decranked keys in the front. Here's the stance of my truck during the trip to TN on decranked keys and 2" spindles in the front, along with 3" djm drop springs in the rear:
20131029_121753.jpg

On the way back to San Antonio we stopped in Dallas and loaded up a T56 in the back. This coupled with the 40-year old bench vise that I picked up from my father in TN had the Tahoe's rear sagging pretty bad. I put in a set of 1" spring spacers temporarily to help with the stance and it did fine then. Despite this, it was a great ride in the rear for being low.

I just put in 2" drop keys in the front and swapped out the rear springs to Tony's 6" drop springs along with some light fabricating in the rear. Here's my stance today:

20131211_135852.jpg

The ride is stiffer than I want in the front when driving slow than I want, but that's my fault because I need to trim my jounce stops in the front. The only problem then will be that i'm still on stock shocks in the front and I'm over 170k miles. I think I'll change out the front shocks when I do a coilover conversion in the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n