Rear main seal or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrathell

Reaction score
So in hindsight I should have had the rear mail oil seal replaced when I had the transmission replaced a month ago.
Unfortunately the rear main seal may of started leaking recently.
I took that round metal cover off of the transmission and looked inside, it appears to be completely dry inside.

The oil is covering and dripping from the starter in addition to other locations. I’m assuming it’s one leak traveling along and dripping from multiple spots. I don’t think it’s the oil pan because the starter is much higher up than the oil pan, so I don’t think the oil travels against gravity.

I replaced the passenger side front axle seal in the summer but I think that may be leaking again. So I may have two separate leaks.

I have a 2015 Chevy Tahoe LT with about 190k miles.
What’s your guys thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1863.jpeg
    IMG_1863.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1865.jpeg
    IMG_1865.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1873.jpeg
    IMG_1873.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1877.jpeg
    IMG_1877.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1889.jpeg
    IMG_1889.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very well could be. Those leaks can be tricky to pinpoint in my experience.

Put some dye in the oil, go for a drive and inspect with a black light. That's the best way to locate the source.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it's on the front axle housing, I'd drop down the splash shield and look at the oil cooler and trans cooler lines. They are known for leaking with age. I have a RMS leak on my 2008 and it gets the starter, oil pan, exhaust, etc wet, but not anything forward due to wind blowing it backwards.......unless you drive in reverse all the time LOL

OP
OP
mrathell

mrathell

Reaction score
Since it's on the front axle housing, I'd drop down the splash shield and look at the oil cooler and trans cooler lines. They are known for leaking with age. I have a RMS leak on my 2008 and it gets the starter, oil pan, exhaust, etc wet, but not anything forward due to wind blowing it backwards.......unless you drive in reverse all the time LOL
I did that. Those are dry as a bone. I replaced the transmission cooler lines this past summer.

OP
OP
mrathell

mrathell

Reaction score
I did that. Those are dry as a bone. I replaced the transmission cooler lines this past summer. Although I will revisit where the oil cooler line connects above the oil filter housing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar