Rear end parts identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this something that should be changed while I’m in there? If so do you guys know how to remove it? Slide hammer? Or should I be using a long pipe and knocking it towards center of rear to get out?

Dont worry about it, just clean the housing and call it good, the only time I would bother to replace one of these is if you damaged it.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Np! Just make sure the backlash is within spec, and the carrier cant just be pulled by hand, This likely depends on the brand of bearings you used, if OEM you might be fine without adjusting. If you used aftermarket you might be off a bit, and it might needs a little shimming. Since you didn't touch the pinion that should be fine. Last tip is to always mark the caps as they are machined to fit each side, and you dont want to confuse orientation/side placement, GL.

OP
OP
Mizz0313

Mizz0313

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Backlash was about .020ths. Just picked up shim kit, gotta work carrier back out. Used aftermarket national carrier bearings.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats quite a bit off, I believe they are AAM gears and most likely 2 cut, you can double check, if so they call between 3-6 thou. I would aim between 4.5/5 thou since they are already worn in. I prefer analog calipers over digitals but thats just me.

OP
OP
Mizz0313

Mizz0313

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
shimmed it up and got it to .006, was a fight getting it all in evenly but I got it. It’s all tightened up now and just needs a test drive. Thanks for all your help. I usually use analog when working on the vehicles as I like to get my digital sets in the machine shop. My home micrometers locked up on me so the caliper saved the day.

CarParts.com

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Eric from CarParts.com here-

Looks to me like your referring to the rear wheel bearing. We have a great deal on them -

https://www.carparts.com/results/?N...+4294966461&shopId=1&searchType=global&N=0&=+

I would strong recommend you replace both sides since you have it apart already just to be safe.

They can be removed with a slide hammer, bearing removal tool, you can also knock them out from the opposite side if the differential has been removed.

Eric

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Sneering on this post and intro. Why are so many people like me so immature find the stupidest $hit so funny? See, they shouldn’t of taken away the post delete feature and none of this would of happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700