Rear end cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pedub

Reaction score
Hello all, I changed my rear differential cover because it was seeping through (weird how they rust out) the new one has a fill plug in it and I couldn't get the old fill plug out. the new fill plug on the cover is about 1" or so below the factory one on the rear end so not as much gear oil, is this something to worry about? the ring gear still sits in plenty of oil, should I get the old plug out or run it. thought I'd better ask. oh yeah the new cover didn't come with a magnet in it so I put some very strong magnets on the out side of the cover what do you think? thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I changed my rear differential cover because it was seeping through (weird how they rust out) the new one has a fill plug in it and I couldn't get the old fill plug out. the new fill plug on the cover is about 1" or so below the factory one on the rear end so not as much gear oil, is this something to worry about? the ring gear still sits in plenty of oil, should I get the old plug out or run it. thought I'd better ask. oh yeah the new cover didn't come with a magnet in it so I put some very strong magnets on the out side of the cover what do you think? thanks

Get a factory or AAM cover? You want the level high enough so that as the vehicle gets moving, fluid goes out into the axle tubes to lubricate the bearings on either end. If memory serves, there should be some in there at rest too.

Dogged

Reaction score
If the level is above the axle height, you're probably OK with an inch shorter, just less margin of safety so keep it topped off. You can always squeeze hard and overfill while quickly putting the plug on if it helps you sleep at night.

Be sure those external magnets stay put (expoxy?) . You probably don't want them knocked off accidentally and releasing a *** of shavings all at once.

It will force you to pull the cover next change to clean properly, but are very effective.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Moved your thread over here from 2021. I think this is the section it belongs in. Let me know if this is not it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia