Rear defroster not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Well..... I Noticed my rear defroster ain't working

Fuse under the hood has power
Rear cables have power when disconnected from the defrost tabs
But when connected to the tabs, voltage at said connectors drops to 0v. Not even 1-2v, friggin' 0.0v. Like... dammit....

Wiper is fine. Defrost, is not.

I reckon I need to start tracing wires and looking at connectors. Anyone have insight on junctions / plugs / ground / places to look? It's cold and snowing outside and I'm not much looking to rip apart my interior any more than I need to

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well..... I Noticed my rear defroster ain't working

Fuse under the hood has power
Rear cables have power when disconnected from the defrost tabs
But when connected to the tabs, voltage at said connectors drops to 0v. Not even 1-2v, friggin' 0.0v. Like... dammit....

Wiper is fine. Defrost, is not.

I reckon I need to start tracing wires and looking at connectors. Anyone have insight on junctions / plugs / ground / places to look? It's cold and snowing outside and I'm not much looking to rip apart my interior any more than I need to
Remove the coiled wires at the glass, then check the 2 connectors on the glass for continuity, if no continuity then look for a break in the defrost wire on the glass and repair if possible.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well

She'd dead, Jim
Gonna need both sides of the harness. Can I get a hand tracking down part numbers? My google-fu is weak on this one and I'm not turning anything up

View attachment 387859View attachment 387858
Are those connectors in a hatch wiring harness? I ask because it might be cheaper to buy a whole rear door. In many cases, people are just looking for the glass or the Escalade brake light; they leave behind a full hatch. People with the left-behind hatch tend to sell them cheap. You can steal the wiring and junk the hatch.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Are those connectors in a hatch wiring harness? I ask because it might be cheaper to buy a whole rear door. In many cases, people are just looking for the glass or the Escalade brake light; they leave behind a full hatch. People with the left-behind hatch tend to sell them cheap. You can steal the wiring and junk the hatch.
Kind of
It's the hatch-to-body harness connector. Body side, by the hinge
Looks like there's a sub-harness that has the hatch side covered
But I cannot, for the life of me, find the chassis side

Grrr.... If this didn't interface with a weather seal, I'd just do my own harness with some beefier bits

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak