Rear axle (wheel) bearing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should there be any perceivable movement of the outer hub ends of rear axles on our '08 Tahoe?

I am trying to isolate a rear area grinding noise and found the right rear axle can be moved both in and out enough to see and hear, as best as I can measure about 35 thousandths. Without even removing the wheel, in and out movement can be induced. I also more grumble from that wheel compared to the other side.

I had thought my noise was the differential but now this axle movement throws a question on the outer wheel bearing.
We're at almost 100,000 miles and both front hubs/bearings went bad so I hoping the same for the rear.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In an out great, up n down no good. .035 ok too. Check the brakes on rt. side. Remove caliper to properly test bearings, so brakes dont stop your wobble feel. Grinding no good.
I would check carrier/pinion bearings too.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, no leaks and differential fluid level is good. It just seems odd that I can grab the tire and cause clunks when pushing and pulling.
In an out great, up n down no good. .035 ok too. Check the brakes on rt. side. Remove caliper to properly test bearings, so brakes dont stop your wobble feel. Grinding no good.
I would check carrier/pinion bearings too.
Brakes are ok and fairly new pads. Caliper is floating as expected.

I hear grinding (in the rear) going down the road but not obvious on the jack stands rotating tires by hand. Not comfortable doing it but spinning the tires with the engine while on the stands seems to have more noise on the questioned side than the other and it could be perceived as grinding. That procedure is a bit tentative though because the locker clonks in and for some reason the speed increases and then there's too much drama and noise to tell anything.

I will pull the caliper and wiggle the axle some more. I thought I felt a very slight up and down movement but maybe that was wishful thinking.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agree with @exp500 and @Geotrash on the inspection process. That in and out play is normal. You don't want any up and down play. If do pull the axle for inspection, that is the perfect time to go ahead and do the bearings and seals and make sure to inspect the axle surface where the bearing rides. Pitted or galled, not good.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave, no leaks and differential fluid level is good. It just seems odd that I can grab the tire and cause clunks when pushing and pulling.
I will pull the caliper and wiggle the axle some more. I thought I felt a very slight up and down movement but maybe that was wishful thinking.
I also agree with @PNW VietVet and @exp500 that clunks when pushing and pulling are 100% normal. The fact it’s not leaking is also a good sign. Let us know if anything changes with the caliper off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvaldez224