Rear axle swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

w666ninja

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found a video online that outlines the swap from the weak 8.6 10 bolt to a semifloating 14 bolt from a 88-98 heavy half, and had one found but the truck disappeared. So my question is this: has anyone tried to fit an axle from a 2011 half ton in place of the weak 8.6? It's going into a 2002 yukon with the coil spring suspension so I'll be replacing spring perches more than likely I'm wondering about width. I have one such rear-end in my possession with only 40,000 miles on it. 373 posi. Same ratio I need. I hope it's not an 8.6 too.... Please help!

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a video online that outlines the swap from the weak 8.6 10 bolt to a semifloating 14 bolt from a 88-98 heavy half, and had one found but the truck disappeared. So my question is this: has anyone tried to fit an axle from a 2011 half ton in place of the weak 8.6? It's going into a 2002 yukon with the coil spring suspension so I'll be replacing spring perches more than likely I'm wondering about width. I have one such rear-end in my possession with only 40,000 miles on it. 373 posi. Same ratio I need. I hope it's not an 8.6 too.... Please help!
A few members have put a NNBS 14bolt 9.5" ring gear Semi Floating axle (aka AXN named after the rpo code) into their NBS 00-06 SUVs. Me included and the swap is fairly simple. Here is a thread that outlines more about it, if you skip to last last page or 2 I break down the different options you will have.