Rear airshocks Auto leveling etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recently acquired 2004 Yukon Denali xl has replacement airshocks in the back. I connected a trailer and the back sagged a lot.

Should the rear springs have been replaced with the new airshocks? If so, how do I check what spring is in the truck? can simply put more air in the shocks? How much air should they have?

Found a part number on the coil spring - 15182557

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recently acquired 2004 Yukon Denali xl has replacement airshocks in the back. I connected a trailer and the back sagged a lot.

Should the rear springs have been replaced with the new airshocks? If so, how do I check what spring is in the truck? can simply put more air in the shocks? How much air should they have?

Found a part number on the coil spring - 15182557

I've been reading a lot but I not quite sure how to determine the best options or what is actually on the truck now.

It looks just fine and rides well but there are airshocks in the back with a manual fill (no auto pump). Is this setup ok? With airshocks should it have heaver springs than stock? Lowers way too much with trailer load. Should I simply add more air to the shocks or is that a poor fix?

I realize this may be a process since I don't know what was done to it.

How should I begin?

Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did someone install a toggle switch to turn the pump on? or do you have to actually attach a pump and fill them? have you checked for leaks?

OP
OP
S

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old pump is bad, There is a fill valve that was incorporated into the rear license plate mount. I believe they are not the original shocks. Air only, no electrical connector on the shock. Hose from each shock goes to a Y connector and terminates with a fill valve at the rear license plate.

It has no air currently. I’ll test for leaks today.

I haven’t had an air shock since my 71 340 Plymouth Duster and I have no idea what the air pressure range should be and how they affect ride height and quality.

OP
OP
S

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed the connection and air hoses for the existing shocks. Now it holds air. I was at 0 but I believe they can be adjusted between 0-150 I don’t know the shock brand or model but it lifts and stiffens up the back a good bit with 75 lbs..

I’m good to go now but I’d just like guidance on the amount of air for different circumstances.

Thanks for the help so far

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no idea, especially being they are some kind of aftermarket, maybe look for a part number on them and see what you can find on google.

OP
OP
S

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ e been keeping them at about 35 for general travel, 50 for light trailer and 95 for a heavy trailer. Still testing. Not sure in the long run if I’ll need different springs or the coil air bags but I’m good for short trips and general travel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons