Rear air suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Inglewood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yukon SLT that was mechanic owned who went with Z71 shocks and springs in the rear but it's time for a refresh. I had the idea of air suspension so that I could lower the rear when not towing (I tow a 20ft bass boat every weekend in the summer) to have less rake when I daily. I'm looking for recommendations and general thoughts on the idea. I've learned a ton from y'all who post on this forum and I genuinely appreciate the community's willingness to share their knowledge so I appreciate anyone who takes the time to give their input.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was yours not equipped with the factory ALC system? I forget the exact RPO code for it. But you can check the frame rail behind the driver's side rear tire for a compressor or see if a compressor was there (marks on the frame, unused plugs, etc.) If it was removed, you'd have a service suspension warning message on the dash.

OP
OP
I

Inglewood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was yours not equipped with the factory ALC system? I forget the exact RPO code for it. But you can check the frame rail behind the driver's side rear tire for a compressor or see if a compressor was there (marks on the frame, unused plugs, etc.) If it was removed, you'd have a service suspension warning message on the dash.

Doubtful, but regardless the previous owner had replaced it with Z71 shocks and springs

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubtful, but regardless the previous owner had replaced it with Z71 shocks and springs

Right. What I was getting at was that you could put original springs in (or lift the front a little to not have rake) and put air shocks back in it and adjust the sensor links to not lift the rear so it stays level. Then, when it squats a little from your bass boat and/or whatever other load you may have in the back, the air system would automatically pick it up just as it's designed to do from the factory.

If yours never had it, then you're gonna have to go all aftermarket, like with an Air Lift 1000 system.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Chris mentioned there’s more to the factory system than shocks. If your able to go back I would but otherwise new springs and helper bags would work. Check out Tony @NORCAL SS for options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish