Rear AC Line Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 Tahoe Z71 and noticed my AC wasn't blowing cold. Found out all the freon leaked out due to a leak in the smaller diameter line in the rear by the rear passenger tire over the axle. Anyone have this issue before or replaced any of the rear AC lines? Just was wondering what was all involved.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smaller line is your high side. Never had any of the lines leak on any of my 4 K chassis. Once you remove line make sure you lube all sealing o rings with compressor lube oil. The system will have to be pumped down with a vaccuum pump and leak checked then charged with proper amount of R134A refrigerant. There will be a sticker underneath your hood that shows the proper weight of refrigerant in the system.
Since you have the system already open now is a good time to go ahead and change the orifice tube which is essentially similar to a jet in a LP/Natural gas furnace or oven. They dont look the same but do the same thing. It is located right in between your high and low side schrader valves. There is a big fitting right on the metal line between the schrader valves. Just unscrew that and pull the old orifice tube out and replace with new.

Heres a video on where it is and how to get it out.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smaller line is your high side. Never had any of the lines leak on any of my 4 K chassis. Once you remove line make sure you lube all sealing o rings with compressor lube oil. The system will have to be pumped down with a vaccuum pump and leak checked then charged with proper amount of R134A refrigerant. There will be a sticker underneath your hood that shows the proper weight of refrigerant in the system.
Since you have the system already open now is a good time to go ahead and change the orifice tube which is essentially similar to a jet in a LP/Natural gas furnace or oven. They dont look the same but do the same thing. It is located right in between your high and low side schrader valves. There is a big fitting right on the metal line between the schrader valves. Just unscrew that and pull the old orifice tube out and replace with new.

Heres a video on where it is and how to get it out.

Thanks. Is it common for the orifice tube to go bad?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Is it common for the orifice tube to go bad?
The screen that is attached to it collects debris from the system. Under normal wear and tear it will collect metal that is from the compressor as it wears. It kinda acts like an oil filter. They are cheap. Run around $5-$10. Any auto parts store will have the one you need.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I had this problem. Line corroded where the bracket holds the ac line to the frame. Gm fix is to replace the bad section and splice the line from where it's good. Not cheap and probably be in the same problem 5 year later.
What I did was replace the rear ac line with a rubber hose assembly. Ran the line next to the old one and attach it to the front ac line meets.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/rear-ac-hell.83580/

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the accumulator is a must if you have a leak or if ANY moisture is introduced into the system. It has a desiccant bag that collects the moisture in the system because the moisture will cause acid and result in a failed component. I'd go ahead and change out the high and low side service port valves while you have the chance too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019