Rear main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started plugging the electrical connectors and vacuum lines back in. Headed to the store to get some wire loom to finish this up.

I'm having trouble finding where one of the vacuum lines went. The short vacuum I connected to the port on the driver's side of the transfer case. Where does the long vacuum/breather line go?

Hard to tell since I have the trans lifted
There’s no vacuum lines going to any transmissions or transfer cases. Those are vent lines. Google will help you find pictures of the location on your trans but I can tell,you it’s probably on top so you might have to remove the crossmember and lower the back of the trans.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a couple pics of a 6l80e, it looks like that vent tube attaches on the passenger side towards the front, up top.

Attachments

• 7CD43D7B-15AE-4558-AF84-A7BDD8DA6CA9.png
    7CD43D7B-15AE-4558-AF84-A7BDD8DA6CA9.png
    974.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 192639C2-247D-4CAD-970C-38AB84794333.jpeg
    192639C2-247D-4CAD-970C-38AB84794333.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
Found the diagram..the hose labeled number 2 is the hose I am talking about. Everything from the Bell housing vent bracket is correct. I just seen that long hose on the right side of the trans and I was thinking that it would plug into a port like the hose labeled 1. But it looks like it just goes in one of the plastic clips on the back of the trans and if the fluid needs to escape from being overheated it would exit at the end of 2

venthose.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found the diagram..the hose labeled number 2 is the hose I am talking about. Everything from the Bell housing vent bracket is correct. I just seen that long hose on the right side of the trans and I was thinking that it would plug into a port like the hose labeled 1. But it looks like it just goes in one of the plastic clips on the back of the trans and if the fluid needs to escape from being overheated it would exit at the end of 2

View attachment 397379
It does- that’s the location I was trying to show you on the passenger side of the trans in those pics I just posted. If you look at the left pic there’s a short section of the tube still attached to the trans. The pic on the right just has the barb there. Zoom in if you don’t see them. But yes, the back end of it just clips into a bracket on the transfer case. There’s just the one place it plumbs into the trans, on the right side.

Edit: I assume you know hose #1 is the transfer case vent.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Reaction score
I see what you were saying now. Wasnt aware of that little barb because I never disconnected any of the hoses. But after carefully checking I do see there is a Y that goes to that barb. Just finished putting the exhaust pipe up just got to tighten the nuts then do the trans mount then drive shafts then I should be finished. Im praying everything works out for the best.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you were saying now. Wasnt aware of that little barb because I never disconnected any of the hoses. But after carefully checking I do see there is a Y that goes to that barb. Just finished putting the exhaust pipe up just got to tighten the nuts then do the trans mount then drive shafts then I should be finished. Im praying everything works out for the best.
Good luck sir. :happy107:

paulutions

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have Amazon Prime you can get a flywheel locking tool in one day. Just search “ls engine flywheel locking tool”. You would just have to remove it to turn the flexplate if needed to reach all the bolts. I’m not sure what your access looks like, I’ve only done 4l60’s.
I bought a pulley holding tool at NAPA and used an old belt to protect the pulley on the crank shaft. It works fine rested on the frame. One of my flexplate bolts stripped and I cut off the head, removed the flexplate, then used a vice grip to back out the bolt which came out pretty easy at that point. The flex plate had cracked under that bolt and locked it in so hard there really was no other way that bolt was ever going to come out. I spent hours previous to that using every tool made for stripped bolts trying to get it out including a chisel and hammer to try to back it out. Nothing worked. Cutting the head and using the vice grips took about 10 minutes.