Range AFM Delete and Emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t think about your cats, they’re fine. That monitor takes the longest to reset. All those steps are just a suggestion, normal driving for a few days to a week will put the vehicle in all of those ‘parameters’.
It will reset, give a few more days of drive cycles. Drive cycle meaning cold start and take a normal drive.

When I originally put my range on my 13 I never thought about it causing a fail inspection and pulled it right before I went for an inspection.
Realizing I’m a moron, I drove around for another week without it and got it passed.

Not sure if it was mentioned but NY you can have 1 (or 2??) monitors not ready and pass.

I went through this with my fil’s pos 02 suzuki aerio just last summer because I let the battery die. I drove around for 4 days before work, got them all ready except 1 or 2 and went and passed.

good luck on your ‘quest’ :D

Thanks for your experience on this, I really appreciate you posting it.

I will say, I wasn’t getting ready to put new cats in the budget yet. ;), actually I was just reporting what GM said it might require more trips than the one, if the cats were weak.

What I am actually trying to get at, other than filling in as many blanks as possible on how the Range device affects emissions readiness, is to minimize how much driving around I do in AFM mode (Range device out) every couple of years, resetting the flags before getting tested.

One of my concerns with using the Range device is my bi-annual emissions test. Specifically, what concerns me is a VLOM charged with oil that is not flowing for like 700+ heat cycles and then expected to work perfectly through the galleys and solenoids of the VLOM, delivering its uniform oil pressure with precise timing to the AFM lifter.

Likely this concern is born out of ignorance on my part with how the VLOM works and how the AFM lifters fail, as all I have ever read on the subject was that AFM lifter failures were usually related to timing issues in the VLOM setup. I could see a gummed up VLOM, causing timing errors when my week of driving around comes up and seeing an AFM lifter failure, caused by the very device that was charged to eliminate the risk.

In the end, I seriously doubt I will know every detail of how these things work. But if I know a lot more “for sure” and not just internet opinions (like the notion I picked up that Tow Mode might get me through the whole flag reset cycle, without ever seeing the dreaded V4 on the DIC), then honestly, I will probably consider time well spent.

My penchant for posting all this stuff is just that it helps build a stronger knowledge base for all on the myths versus realities of how these things actually work. ;)

Some fun. :)

Last edited:

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
For the record: It took me two weeks of daily driving and a few highway runs to get all but the EVAP monitor to set. I was able to drive in M5 with my six speed and not have the V4 activate. I can pass with one monitor not set here in Wisconsin. If I had the 4L60 I would have already done a black bear tune, Diablo tune or sent my PCM off to have the AFM disabled.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been driving around with tow mode, while the Range device is out, to force V8 mode (poor man's AFM disable). I was hoping I could complete the ECU's Trip criteria and get the readiness flags that appear to be set when I remove the Range dongle, to understand how much driving I actually have to do to ready the car for emissions testing, all the while, not running in AFM mode.

Today I had a kind of disheartening occurrence as while in two mode, I glanced down and the AFM system was functioning like normal, switching between V4 and V8 mode! Somehow, it seems the ECU got confused about tow mode and didn't disable AFM mode.

I looks like it won't be a reliable strategy for forcing AFM disable while driving the trip criteria miles before an emissions test.

I haven't had the opportunity to do the exact GM Trip test, but so far, around town and a tiny bit of freeway driving, 25 miles and counting, the flags are still set.
Yeah-Tow/Haul doesn’t disable AFM. That is an urban myth.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record: It took me two weeks of daily driving and a few highway runs to get all but the EVAP monitor to set. I was able to drive in M5 with my six speed and not have the V4 activate. I can pass with one monitor not set here in Wisconsin. If I had the 4L60 I would have already done a black bear tune, Diablo tune or sent my PCM off to have the AFM disabled.

Sounds pretty right to me.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I passed 100mi and 3 full "Trips" and still all four readiness have yet to be reset. I will keep at it and report when I do get the readiness flags cleared.

I am looking forward to it as my Y cable came, so I will be able to see all my ODBII stuff, while the Range is in place.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I suppose I actually may have some emission gear issues...

We will know pretty soon. I have to say, the flash route is looking better and better. ;)

I dunno man nobody who has changed their tune and deleted the AFM has responded about getting it to pass these tests.

OP
OP
W

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno man nobody who has changed their tune and deleted the AFM has responded about getting it to pass these tests.

I agree. I think I may give it a try though. The Diablo unit uploads your stock “tune” before you download anything from it.

What I might do, after I am done running down all the blind alley’s with my current setup, is give flashing a try. If, like gooffeyguy said, the Diablo unit resets all the readiness red flags when you flash your ECU, I think I may give it a try and when my emissions test comes up, head on over and get tested. Worst case, if I fail, I can reset everything to stock and start over. Frankly, the way I use this truck now, other than maybe the shift points, I probably wouldn’t be looking to change much “tune” wise.

But first, I really want to know exactly what I need to do to get that readiness status back where it was before I plugged that Range dongle in and later pulled it out. I am pretty sure somewhere in there, those readiness red flags were set. I really would like to know when that happens. :)

The other bonus for me is if the flashing route goes smoothly through emissions testing, when the time comes, I can either do a rebuild or reman and do the physical delete, the ECU will be ready and waiting for that setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645