Random Loss Of All Transmission Gears Including Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Suburban Z71 with about 220K miles. I was getting off the highway on an off ramp and was coasting a little bit and when I got back on the gas the engine revved up like it was out of gear. When I got to the light I tried to switch to a gear that I could continue home in but I didn't have any forward gears or reverse and park didn't work either. I was able to put it in 4wd to get it home. When I got home I had parked on the side of the road due to my driveway having a slight incline (concerned since I didn't have park) I jacked up the rear end and spun the rear tires. When I spun the one rear tire, the other spun the other direction as it should and the drive shaft was still good. When I moved it from the side of the road into the driveway to jack it up on all 4 I noticed that it worked again in 2wd. I jacked up all 4, the same thing occurred with the rear wheels in 2wd and the driveshaft turned as normal. When I put it in 4wd all the wheels spun as they should and the driveshaft turned as normal. I'm not sure what made it all of a sudden go back to normal. Transmission fluid looked ok but is probably due for a change and was at a normal fill level.

I have had intermittent 4wd issues in the past that mysteriously got got better without doing anything (where it would randomly go into 4wd and be hard to get out of). Not sure if this is something that is going on with the transfer case or not but seems to be more electrical than mechanical with it going back to normal.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking as well. I'm wondering if it's a transfer case encoder motor issue?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking as well. I'm wondering if it's a transfer case encoder motor issue?
Not likely unless Tcase was stuck in neutral. Did you hear any clunking or banging when this all happened? Get it in 2wd, unplug encoder motor and see if there any further problems.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish