Rancho RS5000 shocks vs Bilstein 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Notch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have bought z71 coils, 1-3" keys and 2" rear spacers and now shopping for shocks and have been given a really good price on Rancho shocks compared to Bilstein 5100. Will only pay $120 for the Ranchos.

When comparing the measurements from Bilsteins these sound like they will fit, am I right or wrong? (this is my first truck, so lifting is a new thing to me).

FRONTS
Bilstein.................................Rancho
Collapsed Length: 12.54".........Collapsed length: 11.18"
Extended Length: 16.3"...........Extended length: 16.33"
Travel Length: 3.76"...............Travel length: 5.15"

REAR
Bilstein.................................Rancho
Collapsed Length: 16.16".........Collapsed length: 16.25"
Extended Length: 26.14".........Extended length: 26.5"
Travel Length: 9.98"..............Travel length: 10.25

I'm driving a 2000 Suburban LT and will fit 17" wheels with 285/70/17 tires.

Last edited:

hoss08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you getting measurements from but you can't just measure a shock and expect it to fit. You need to get a shock that will specifically fit your truck. That's not to say that a shock that fits your Suburban wont fit a Ram, there are some shocks that interchange between a few different trucks but they are not all universal. I can't really speak for the Ranchos but there is a reason most of us are running the 5100s, they are a great shock that does well both on and off the road, which a lot of shocks don't. The Ranchos are also a twin tube type design which is inferior to the monotube Bilsteins. If you decide to go with Bilsteins the rears are part # 24-185783 and the fronts are # 24-186643. Those are the extended length versions you'd need to go with that lift. IMO do things right and you'll only have to do them once, when it comes to shocks its better to pay a little more for quality. You can get the 5100s on amazon for about $75 a piece.

OP
OP
N

Notch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Those Ranchos are for a lifted Suburban. The fronts for 2" lift but the rear is listed at 4" lift.

The Bilsteins are cheap is the US, but they will cost me about $170 a piece incl shipping and customs in Sweden. So I can get 4 Ranchos for less than 1 Bilstein.

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
If you decide on Rancho I would recommend just spending the extra and getting the 9000's. The price difference isn't enough to compromise IMO. :)

OP
OP
N

Notch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you decide on Rancho I would recommend just spending the extra and getting the 9000's. The price difference isn't enough to compromise IMO. :)

Do they work with lift keys and spacers without extensions?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they work with lift keys and spacers without extensions?

You will need to find the proper length versions.

Quick info on twin tube vs monotube design
http://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/shock-tech-for-pros/monotube-vs-twintube/
A TWIN-TUBE SHOCK OR STRUT HAS TWO CYLINDERS:

The inner, or working cylinder, is where the piston and shaft move up and down. The outer cylinder serves as a reservoir for the hydraulic fluid. There are fluid valves in the piston and in the stationary base valve. The base valve controls fluid flow between both cylinders and provides some of the damping force. The valves in the piston control most of the damping. The term Gas Shock usually refers to the same twin-tube design, but with one improvement. Low pressure Nitrogen gas is added to replace any oxygen air. The effect lessens aeration and performance fade.

THE MONOTUBE DESIGN HAS A SINGLE CYLINDER:

The cylinder is divided into sections: A fluid area and a gas chamber. The piston and shaft move in the fluid portion. It uses a single fluid valve assembly in the piston. The diameter of the single working cylinder and piston valve is larger than in a twin tube even though the outside dimensions of each may the same. There is no need for an air or gas in the fluid area so the valve can operate more responsively and without any aeration or performance fade. The high pressure gas chamber is separated from the fluid area by a floating piston & seal. That provides an expansion area for the excess fluid movement during the compression stroke. On more aggressive movement the floating piston is pushed further into the gas chamber which increases gas pressure quickly and provides additional damping force. Because of its higher performance capabilities, the monotube design is used as original equipment on some vehicles and offered as an upgrade on vehicles that came equipped with the twin tube design.

Will Rancho 5000's work? Sure. Is there are reason that monotube shocks are more expensive? Of course. Whether it is worth it to you is your decision.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
If Ranchos are cheaper then get the 9000. My friend had the 5000 on his tahoe and mine had 5100s, hands down the 5100s are way superior!!

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is that Rancho 5000's are marketed as premium shocks. They really are not. They are comparable to low end Monroes. Monroe reflex's would be better.

OP
OP
N

Notch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the 5000's!

Will do some more research about the 9000xl and also the 7000mt.

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of the 5100's, Ive had them before and love them. Id go with the Bilsteins. I called Bilstein the other day gave them my set up and made sure I ordered the right shocks.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

4wheelparts has them on sale right now I think... fyi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts