KYB Gas a Just vs Bilstein B 4600 Rear Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last piece of our '08 Tahoe maintenance, anyone have experience/opinions with the KYB Gas a Just or Bilstein B4600 rear shocks? Replacing oem Z71 shocks (540-300). Use is primarily on the street, although in pot hole and frost heave land calling it street is often a stretch. I had no complaints about the upgrade oems that GM provided until I happened to take a ride in the cargo area with our dog and took a beating over most of the ride.

I'm not looking for a hard ride nor a 60's Caddie boat ride. Perhaps compliant is an objective. Maybe similar to the original but more responsive to reduce the beating that the cargo area gives. The ride to the veterinarian is tough enough.

Pricewise the Bilsteins and the original Z71s are the same and the KYBs about $10 less per shock which is insignificant.

Will either of those choices fit the bill?

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I cannot help you with your question.

Maintain your patience, and I'm sure that other folks will respond with their perspectives and recommendations.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put billstein 4600s on my burb. Can't say what result you'll get, but the burb is super stiff. Now I've got 5 pc leaf springs in back with timbren ses bump stops.... So altogether, super stiff design. They are of decent price and seem to be good thus far.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have bilsteins on my lowered Tahoe ssv. They feel great to me. The originals up front were quite cavitated so I think anything would of been better.

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to say the KYB's feel like a new truck again.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up with oem Z71s and no surprises and no regrets.

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Acdelco OE struts on front and Bilstein 4600 shocks on rear and it's too firm. Looking to replace the front struts when I can find something softer.

2012 LT

jmil1974

Reaction score
KYB GasAJust = shit. Bilstein 4600s are your ticket for stock height. Better control, no hit to comfort (they will break in a bit), and will last WAY longer than KYB crap. Bonus, they are cheaper than OEM. No downside.

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long is the break in period In your opinion? And do you think the springs are needed for the rear as well or not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645