When replacing stock bags snowballs into a Long Travel '04 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow4dr

Reaction score
I guess just a brief intro. My name is Jason and this is my Wife's '04 Denali. We're the 2nd owners and we've owned it for roughly 4 years. It mainly gets the kids back and forth to school and the BMX track. I currently work at a Hot Rod Suspension company with access to some pretty cool tools, software & engineers.

The truck has mostly been neglected, other than receiving routine maintenance. It's been a great truck other than the common dash issue. When we bought it, it had some ugly a$$ 24" wheels on it. Those were ditched in favor of some 17" MB wheels with Nitto 285/70 Tires. I cranked the stock torsions roughly 2", made some jounce spacers and had it aligned.

20170114_135715_zpsc8aq5hcq.jpg

I've added a Spectre Intake, Magnaflow muffler, and '05 Electric fans. My buddies at Gio's Performance tuned it for me as well.

Recently, the truck started swaying in turns and scaring the wife. It was getting so bad that She refused to drive it on the freeway. So I crawled underneath and glanced at the stock rear bags. Both bags had holes in them and the shocks appeared to be leaking. After a little searching I realized that stock replacement bags were more expensive than a good aftermarket set of shocks(Bilstein or maybe Fox's).

This is where things took a turn for the..........expensive. After measuring the stock shock pickup points I realized that I could fit a longer shock in place. Then the light bulb went on when looking at some aftermarket lift kits. It appeared that the stock 4-link would allow for a lot more droop than the stock shocks/bags could offer. So I put the back of the truck on jack stands and removed the stock shocks/bags. Inch by inch I let the rear axle down taking measurements and noting where any issues arose.

The stock shocks allowed for roughly 3" of droop from ride height.(keep in mind the bags weren't functioning so would likely be less with them working)

Here is what I found once the stock shocks were removed at one inch increments.
4" droop(shock centers 23.750") = ABS sensor on the frame needs to be turned 90 degrees
5" droop(shock centers 24.750" = Panhard bar is getting to a pretty extreme angle(need to go back and get a pic)
6" droop(shock centers 25.750") = The brake line bracket on top of the axle needs to be bent up roughly 15-20 degrees. The anti-sway bar contacts the diff cover.

6.25" droop(shock centers 26") = 18" Strap limits travel(*NOTE* The panhard bar has pulled the axle over 1" from center)

Here are a few more measurements with the 18" strap removed.
7" droop(shock centers 26.75") = The stock springs become unseated. Ride height sensors come undone, the lower link bar hits the positive stop on the axle bracket
8" droop(shock centers 27.875) = ABS sensor needs to be relocated and diff vent needs to be longer, need longer brake lines(20" or more)

While I was in there I went ahead and removed the springs and went the other direction. There is roughly 4" of compression from ride height(again bags not functioning). The shock centers were 17" with full weight sitting on the bump stop.

After a little research I found a shock that would be perfect in a 6" droop/4" compression scenario(from current ride height).

2" FOA 10" Coilovers are 16.5" closed and 26.5" open - Technically these are about the same price as factory replacement bags. I added in 18" straps as they are also the perfect length in this scenario.
20170214_124948_zpsdsq5a4yk.jpg

Now, you may be thinking "Wait, those are coilovers". I plan on eventually swapping these to the front and replacing the rears with something even longer but smooth body.

Doing a little mock up. Just a hair over 10.25" of total travel using 9" of the available 10" shock travel.
20170218_164936_zps2qcxzqyj.jpg

20170218_143343_zpsqsizigkf.jpg

18" strap mounted to the anti-sway bar bracket and lower shock hole, fits perfect.
20170218_140657_zpsxo7wtcux.jpg

20170218_160748_zpseljrg2qs.jpg

I bent the brake line bracket up a little using the handle of the jack.
20170218_140708_zpsrpm25rpf.jpg

ABS Sensor turned 90 degrees.
20170218_143256_zps3ecj7auy.jpg

There is some empty area above the spare tire mount for the reservoirs.
20170218_160444_zpscbn3qgj3.jpg

A typical reservoir mount was too tall so I made some low profile ones. Basically just some 1"x.125" bar bent into submission. I cut a slit in it to allow the clamp and then welded the hole shut.

20170227_173734_zpsqp6ubyb0.jpg

20170227_173854_zps4vzk1xp1.jpg

20170227_173841_zps8byn77ir.jpg

I will likely mount the reservoirs directly to the shock body once these are replaced by smooth body shocks.
20170228_203644_zpsxhu6jnou.jpg

This is why a typical roll cage type reservoir mount is too high. There is just barely enough room above the factory fuel tank fill line for the reservoir line. Anything taller than a tight up against the floor mount will hit the lines.
20170228_203617_zpsqmimeowh.jpg

The driver's side reservoir fits in place with no issues. The reservoir fits right in between the body and the front of the shock mount.
20170228_211730_zps8eljlmr7.jpg

The Passenger side needs some slight trimming of the body and inner panel to clear the reservoir line. Because of the rear A/C lines the reservoir has to be installed behind the shock mount and then the line needs to be lifted over to the front of the shock mount.
20170225_152112_zpsbzvhhva3.jpg

20170225_153258_zps9t0lkoup.jpg

20170225_153644_zpst3ufigi3.jpg

Unfortunately, the FOA provided misalignment spacers are for 1/2" bolts so I ditched them and made my own for the stock 14mm bolts. The shock needs to be offset .25" in the upper mount(to the outside) so the shock body doesn't hit the shock mount.

The anti-sway bar link modification was fairly easy. I just cut the stock links in half and threaded them 1/2"-20 L/H & R/H and then just made a corresponding L/H-R/H sleeve. I'm sure the CJ links would be sufficient too but I wanted to have some adjustment for future height changes.
20170306_173459_zpsc3cy7fyc.jpg
20170301_121409_zpsrnrpylqo.jpg

This has made an incredible improvement in performance. I look forward to addressing the front suspension to even up the score. The back handles so damn good now that the front is terrible in comparison.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slow4dr

slow4dr

Reaction score
Used my connection with Parts Authority to get some upgrades.

NNBS brakes with Centric(StopTech) slotted rotors

20170314_092927_zpskjivbgp6.jpg

& the one component that pretty much started the whole landslide of bad ideas with this project.

NNBS axles

20170314_093401_zpsjri0urgu.jpg

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why NNBS axles?

I am surprised that you did not change the bumpstops at all to take advantage of more available uptravel.

Stock springs? I am surprised that you have not swapped em for z71 springs. I see flares! This thing is gonna get gnarly I take it?

Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
slow4dr

slow4dr

Reaction score
Why NNBS axles?

I am surprised that you did not change the bumpstops at all to take advantage of more available uptravel.

Stock springs? I am surprised that you have not swapped em for z71 springs. I see flares! This thing is gonna get gnarly I take it?

Thanks for sharing!

NNBS axles are 1 7/8" longer, they also use a heavier duty axle and joint. This is where the flares are going to come in handy.

The FOA shocks will bottom out roughly 1/2" beyond the stock bump. I felt it was safest to leave it as is until I can raise the upper shock mount to allow more uptravel. I had an idea to run 2" air bumps up through the frame where the stock bump is located. The FOA 2" bump is perfect dimensionally but they don't offer a top bolt mount design like a few other companies do. The other concern is tire clearance with more compression. The 33" tires on it now clear the fender with roughly an 1.5" to spare at full compression.

I looked at the Z71 springs but I wanted something fairly soft. Plus the Z71 springs are less than an inch taller than stock. I plan on gaining a few more inches of droop from where it is now and I don't want to worry about unseating the springs. Even though I plan on making hard mounts at the top and bottom to hold them in place. I wouldn't want the spring to be the limit strap in a full droop situation. I contemplated running spacers but then I was concerned about coil bind. I ended up ordering some Skyjacker C25R's since they are nearly 4" taller than the Z71 springs but are softer.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NNBS axles are 1 7/8" longer, they also use a heavier duty axle and joint. This is where the flares are going to come in handy.

The FOA shocks will bottom out roughly 1/2" beyond the stock bump. I felt it was safest to leave it as is until I can raise the upper shock mount to allow more uptravel. I had an idea to run 2" air bumps up through the frame where the stock bump is located. The FOA 2" bump is perfect dimensionally but they don't offer a top bolt mount design like a few other companies do. The other concern is tire clearance with more compression. The 33" tires on it now clear the fender with roughly an 1.5" to spare at full compression.

I looked at the Z71 springs but I wanted something fairly soft. Plus the Z71 springs are less than an inch taller than stock. I plan on gaining a few more inches of droop from where it is now and I don't want to worry about unseating the springs. Even though I plan on making hard mounts at the top and bottom to hold them in place. I wouldn't want the spring to be the limit strap in a full droop situation. I contemplated running spacers but then I was concerned about coil bind. I ended up ordering some Skyjacker C25R's since they are nearly 4" taller than the Z71 springs but are softer.

Thanks for the insight. very cool project.

OP
OP
slow4dr

slow4dr

Reaction score
More parts are arriving daily. 1.75" & 1.50" x .120w Chro-Moly tubing for the link bars. I had to buy 20' sticks so I will likely make a rear bumper out of the extra 1.75". I had to tag them or else our manual machine guys will use them unknowingly.

20170314_120752_zpsphpozxrw.jpg

I have a 4'x6' .180 chro-moly sheet allegedly arriving today as well. This material will be for the front control arms. I'm still undecided how much wider over stock I am going to build them. The NNBS axles are 1 7/8" wider than NBS but of course I want it wider than that. Trying to decide between running CV spacers, biting the bullet and ordering the Mazzulla 3" over NNBS axle shafts(4 7/8" over total ), or really dive in the deep end and have my buddies at Currie make me some 2 1/8" over(4" over total). At least the Currie route would allow me to make custom sizes in the future if I am so inclined.

I also need to formulate a plan on putting all this crap together. Spring break is coming up so I have opportunity while the wife won't need the truck as much, or at all.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Saw this thread on GMFS and didn't know you were here too. I would do Atomics coilover conversion for the front while doing this rear.

OP
OP
slow4dr

slow4dr

Reaction score
I hadn't planned on doing the NNBS brake swap until later but I needed the core moneys for other things. So I got home from work last night and went to town on it. The swap was pretty straight forward but I couldn't get the brakes to bleed at all. I used a vacuum pump, I tried gravity feed and finally just gave up and went old school. No matter what I did the pedal just wouldn't come up. I had tried everything and I was about to lose my mind. Around midnight, after many F-bombs, I finally just gave up and went to bed not knowing how I was going to get to work.

I got up early this morning and went back at it. Put the truck back up on jack stands and just sat back and ran thru in my head everything I had done. Finally, the light bulb turned on. I had the damn calipers on the wrong sides so the bleeder was down instead of up. A thousand F-bombs later I got it bled properly and took it for a spin around the block to bed in the pads. What a huge difference it has made. I am so glad that I did this. The truck is bound to get heavier with larger wheels/tires and boxed arms very soon so the extra braking power is going to come in handy.

PhotoGrid_1490283362969_zpsoj7q177b.jpg

OP
OP
slow4dr

slow4dr

Reaction score
Spring break has begun so I am already taking advantage of the wife not needing the truck.

I removed the hitch and rear bumper in preparation for custom pieces. I actually have an idea utilizing a roll pan but the wife is 50/50 on that idea. If she doesn't come around then I'll just fab a prerunner deal and call it a day.

I also yanked the drivers side running board. Having access to the frame rail helped with making link bar bracket templates.

Here is the lower link template. I didn't make a template for the upper bracket because they will be pretty straight forward. There has been a bit of guess work on anti-squat since I don't have actual ride height yet. I have been using 2.5" over current ride height to at least get it close.

20170325_173412_zpstogc1gg0.jpg

20170325_173428_zps7fwap9wm.jpg

The Skyjacker C25R springs showed up today. I am going to test the rate of these against the stockers at work next week. I had my little helper wanting to put them in.

20170325_180804_zpseeamsnji.jpg

I haven't even began building the front end yet and I have an idea to gain some droop/travel. It helped having the truck up on stands during the day to really get a good look at everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts