Ramps or Jacks w/ stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creekdaze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I am looking to start changing all my own fluids and I cannot decide whether I should get a set of ramps or get a jack with some stands. I'm also curious how y'all fluids with a tilted vehicle.

1.) It looks like a pair of ramps is the cheapest and easiest, but I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks. Do you prefer a pair of ramps or a jack with a set of stands?

2.) I was looking at the steps for changing the transmission fluid and it seems like the drain is in the middle of the pan. I you have your vehicle on a set of ramps or a set of stands, all the fluid would not drain properly. With the exception of draining your oil (because the drain is in the back), wouldn't you want your vehicle to be level? Does anyone use two sets of ramps or jacks? I would imagine two sets of jacks would be unstable and getting a "HOE" up two sets of ramps might be more tricky that it is worth?

<------Again, I'm a newbie at this so I'm looking for some experienced responses. If this has already been covered, I appologize, I could not find any other threads on this subject.

Thanks in advance,
matt

J-dub

The TYF Young One
Reaction score
I have both ramps and jacks/jackstands. Changing oil is extremely easy with a GOOD set of ramps. Mine are all metal and have dips for the tires to sit in, very stable.

As for the transmission, I'm not sure how you'd go about it. But if you think it should be even, drive the front on ramps. Then jack the back up even and secure with jack stands.

Edit: Mine are similar to these, but braced more and are YELLOW. Lol. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280620215414#ht_500wt_1156

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good jack and a set or 2 of jackstands will be more useful in the long run if/when you have to do any brake or suspension work, or even just being able to take a wheel off. Generally for an oil change I put the front of the truck up on ramps and put jackstands under the frame just incase the ramps decide to fail I might not be flattened as much but GOOD quality, properly rated ramps should be fine if you only plan on oil changes

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just don't buy a ****** jack where the seals will bust

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
I have both. I have two sets of Ramps and a 3.5ton jack and a Race Jack and a whole slue of Jack stands.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good jack and a set or 2 of jackstands will be more useful in the long run if/when you have to do any brake or suspension work, or even just being able to take a wheel off. Generally for an oil change I put the front of the truck up on ramps and put jackstands under the frame just incase the ramps decide to fail I might not be flattened as much but GOOD quality, properly rated ramps should be fine if you only plan on oil changes

Agreed, if you plan to do any other basic service (rotate tires, brakes, etc) I would invest in a good jack and stands.
Also as mentioned above, buy a good, you don't want to be screwing around with flimsy stuff when have a vehicle in the air. Pawn shops always have shop tools for sale, check there or craigslist first, you might find a steal.

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres no reason not to have a good jack and stand in a mans garage, it's a necessity. I have a good racing jack with stands and am in the market for some good ramps as well. Guess what I'm saying is get both

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879